What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prefab Fuel Tank

I just noticed that the Finishing Kit options has a Prefabricated Fuel Tank for $445. Does anyone have any details about this?

It wasn't on there about 3 weeks ago when I ordered my finishing kit. Could be money well spent. Opinions, anyone?

Was not on there a few weeks ago when I ordered mine either. Some of you who have built one, is that a good deal or not?

Prefab fuel tank

For the relatively little work, and simple construction, it is my opinion that $445 is way too much for the RV-12 tank. Perhaps for a $100 plus materials I would go for it...recall this is a simple box and goes together in a very short time.

Another point - -

Search the earlier threads. The original sight-glass had issues. Many of us changed the design by closing the window ( after inspection ), and adding a Moeller Marine Fuel Gauge on top in front. You can see it in flight, and while filling, serious advantages. You will need some experience working with the 'gooo' then anyway, so you might as well build it yourself also. If the factory one leaks at any point in time, are you going to try to send it back ? ( don't think so ) !. My opinions.

John Bender

If you look in past threads you will find an offer from a guy named Chuckster who will build your tank for $200. I had close to $100 in materials by the time I was finished. I wish I had sent him my tank. Of course I can now say I am a member of the pro seal club. Building a tank isn't so much hard as just messy .

Thanks all. Good points JB. I plan to do the same after inspection, and it would be too hard to return a leaky tank from Australia anyway.
I'll save some money and practice getting my hands dirty.

Now that it is a 51 percenter, I am surprised no one has considered wing tanks. Not only do you get the "bomb" out of your cockpit, you wouldn't need any external wing gauge. It's only where it is because of the removable wings which I dare say no one I know of ever removes them (what a pain!).

Unfortunately the ad did not have photos. I considered answering the ad and asking for photos. Would be interesting to see just how he done it, fuel line wing connectors and all. Surely someone on this forum knows of the builder and the plane.

Web Address

Ones job is never Done! Its a EAB so who knows what it looks like.:p Oh and since the plane hasn't flown we don't know if he successfully did it or not! Don you buy it and have it sent to my house and Ill see if he did it or not. In the experimental world we never assume success until we have flown many many hours without the engine falling off. ;-)

VANS RV-12 PROJECT • $15,000 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • Vans RV-12 Project complete up to part of Finish Kit. Special wing tanks. Engine and Avionics Kits not included. Outstanding workmanship by award winning builder. This project can be completed as amateur-built now approvable by FAA. Estate sale. Ocala, Fl location. $15,000. • Contact Sandra L. Carlson, Owner - located Mill Valley, CA USA • Telephone: 415-383-5486 . 415-381-5188 • Fax: 415-389-7455 • Posted December 11, 2010 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist

Last edited:
Back