What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre Frankenstorm Patrol

Vlad

Well Known Member
Air was surprisingly smooth today. I had some leftover gas from my Florida trip and decided to finish it. Short local flight - 2 hours only :)

preFrankenstormflight.jpg

Normally downtown Manhattan is seen from here not today. No precip at all.

1-5.jpg

Brooklyn.

2-4.jpg

3-5.jpg

It was half sunny along LI shoreline. Where are all birds? :confused:

4-4.jpg

5-4.jpg

6-3.jpg

Little friendly airport runway 25' wide.

7-2.jpg

34.jpg

33.jpg

Returned north of New York. LGA traffic.

8-2.jpg

Not many helos in the corridor either. Never air was so smooth.

9-2.jpg

Gloomy over Staten Island and Newark.

11-1.jpg

12-1.jpg

Double locked the hangar. Will be back after storm.

Last edited:
Dang, I was in some of the identical airspace yesterday (Friday) in a friend-of-the-family's Archer. Amazingly calm conditions considering the dire storm warnings on TV. I guess the adage "calm before the storm" is no old wives tale. The controllers at JFK, Newark and La Guardia were very accommodating. The TCAS display on the 430 was a great help as well. Great to see the Freedom Tower coming along. May we always have such freedom of the skies.

Site Seeing Tour

I watched your site seeing tour today live while I was home wishing I was flying. Airport is open again but winds were 20kts G27kts. No fly zone. Saw one lonely jet depart. Maybe tomorrow morning.

Really good tailwinds after Hurricane Sandy comes by you in a few days. You should be able to make Venice in about 4 hrs... :D

Vlad

I'm in the Bahamas now and was here when Sandy passed just East of us two days ago. Cat 2, down rated to a 1,
not sure where she's going to go. Baton down the hatches, she was a ripper for us. Pray she heads out to sea.

Last edited:
Sandy on the way curfew in effect

It's not here yet but getting closer and closer...

a756ef36846f80d03299843f6bdbcce9.jpg

Tailwinds

Vlad,

All I see is 40kts tailwinds... I'm surprised you're not out there taking advantage of it:)

Vlad,

All I see is 40kts tailwinds... I'm surprised you're not out there taking advantage of it:)

Good one Alfio!!! hahaha

You know the Russki well!

I have today (tuesday) off as well. My Baffles are looking good!!!

Well, got to get back out in the shop now. Not making any progress sitting here on the computer!

:) CJ

Back