What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre cover inspection

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Got our emp/ tailcone pre-cover inspection done today. We had two rivets and four bolts left to do (not part of the pre-cover inspection items) before he showed up. Things got done faster than we expected (four of us) and we had worked ourselves out of a job. Our wing kit is expected to be shipped 31 of March, we'll need it to keep busy. We still have to seal up the parts that were inspected today and attach them together as one unit. Still a fair amount of work to do yet.
As for the inspection, I have to agree with the MD-RA inspector, that it looked like we left two outside or end rib flanges on the HS for him to find,as they were all not set enough. We must have thought that the squeezer was set properly and never checked them. He also found an elevator rib that got hit by the rivet set a little and requested it be sanded smooth. Two rivets he asked to be replaced and we are ready to close things up.
I don't recall knowing this,but this service is totally voluntary on the inspector part. Wow , with traveling (three hrs each way) he lost his hole day. All we payed him for is travel expences. After we were done, I asked the inspector if he would like a ride in the last plane he inspected for me , a Smith's Supercub replica. I'm glad I did because he injoyed it immensely. It was the least I could offer.
Ron

MDRA

All we payed him for is travel expences. After we were done, I asked the inspector if he would like a ride in the last plane he inspected for me , a Smith's Supercub replica. I'm glad I did because he injoyed it immensely. It was the least I could offer.
Ron

They certainly don't do it for the money....or for the glory. thanks to all those guys who give of their time to enable us to finish our projects....

Back