What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre-built fuel tanks

Has anyone purchased the pre-built tanks from Vans?? On all the build sites everyone complains about the Pro-seal and how big of a pain it is..
If you have purchased them how well do they fit?
Thanks
Chris
Bonney Lake, WA

Be a Trooper

I initially considered the pre-built tanks but after talking to many builders, it seems the "fear of the unknown" was replaced with the "pride of their accomplishment" when completed. I took the leap and ordered proseal, gloves, etc.

I can honestly say that it was a messy, tedeous, often frustrating task but most importantly, it was not a big deal. WAY OVER-EXAGERATED!

Now when others talk about the experience of building their tanks, I can relate.

Call it a "rite of passage" and save the money for the extra tools, fiberglass, etc. you are going to have to buy as you progress.

PS- I installed capacitive senders and you cannot get them in pre-builts. Also, go ahead and order the pre-made fuel pick-up tubes from Vans...they come with the nut pre-drilled for safety wiring as a nice screen on the tube end.

Glenn, I looked into having Evan do my tanks but didn't due to the cost. $875 for two rv-4 tanks?! Amost $2000 for rv-10 tanks! If you send him your tank skins, ribs etc, his only overhead is proseal and time. Wonder if they're gold plated on the inside... :rolleyes: I did both mine in 3 days and spent well under $100 in proseal. I'd build 'em for ya Chris for alot less than that.

I agree the problems are over rated. It wasn't the most fun thing I've ever done but it wasn't a big deal and I learned some things that might help me in other building projects.

FWIW, One day just after I finished my tanks I was talking with one of Van's brothers & when he heard I was working on my wings he suggested I buy the prebuilt tanks if I hadn't built them yet. And if I had it to do over again, that's what I would do. Takes you half way to a QB.

Hey, You are building for education and recreation. Education...Learn new words. Recreation.....GOBBS of fun. Seriously, it's not that bad. Messy, yes. Difficult no.

smithhb said:
PS- I installed capacitive senders and you cannot get them in pre-builts. Also, go ahead and order the pre-made fuel pick-up tubes from Vans...they come with the nut pre-drilled for safety wiring as a nice screen on the tube end.

You guys may be right, maybe I was a big baby in buying them, I just didn't want to deal with it. But for the record, the above is not true, with Evan at least. He installed capacitive senders in my tanks for me (and pre-made fuel pick-up tubes).

I got them for my RV-7. They fit perfectly. They had no leaks. You can't get the capacitive senders with them; they came with the floats. I'm glad I got them -- even with them it has still taken me 2.5 years to get to about the quick build stage. I'd like to fly the plane in my lifetime!

Last edited:
I'm half way through my tanks (building both at the same time). I have a semco gun and use the little tubes for it. It isn't that bad or messy.

Agreed

gbrasch said:
I bought a pair from Evan and was completely satisfied with his workmanship and customer service.
I second that (for the RV-8). Evan also fitted capacitive senders, flop tubes and deluxe lockable fuel caps at my request. Having said that, and having now built a pair of wings, next time I would very likely do them myself if I had time. Especially since I had to pull the cover to do the service bulletin anyway (neat: I got to look inside!).

This time around though it was definitely that 'fear of the unknown'. Yeah, I'll admit, I wimped out :eek:

Cheers,

Last edited:
How many hours do you save by getting the pre-built tanks?

Also, the tanks are apparently supposed to be fitted (drilled) directly to the spar... how does this work with pre-fab tanks?

Last edited:
Fit ok

Since I didn't make an ordinary set of tanks I can't tell how much time has been saved, but I think quite a lot.

When fitting the Evans tanks which had the Z-brackets already on, it was simply a case of align to the existing leading edge splice and then back drill through the spar holes and into the Z-brackets. Then drill all the skin attach holes out to final size. Remove, deburr hole, drill for & fit nutplates to the Z-brackets, dimple the skin holes for the #8 screws, re-install. TADA!

Building tanks "Rock"!

Hello fellow builders,

I build "long range" tanks (3 extra bays) so I know what I am talking about! It is just a job like any other! Make sure you use hypodermical syringes to apply the pro seal, that way you can really dose the pro-seal, so you do not put on more than is necessary (and make a mess of things).

My god, there is worst jobs to do. There is a lot of people out there making a nuisance of themselves by exaggerating things. Don't let them put you off, It is as easy as the rest of the building process, and ones your finished you will know.......... its no problem at all and you will have accomplished another job in the building process of your own plane.!!

If you did not want to put up with "difficult" things to do, you should not have started building your own aeroplane anyway, so, get on with it and enjoy while your at it !!

Happy building,

PilotTonny.

PS: When you pressure test your tanks and they are tight, you will feel that "drug-like-rush" and forget all about the messy process of building them anyway! :)

Pre-Built fuel Tanks

I agree the fuel tanks were a mess but no big deal...now the sliding canopy was / is the real problem / pain in the neck and I'm therefore convinced I'm going to go the carbon fiber route next summer to finish it up.

dl
90116, finally installing Mazda 13B

If you did not want to put up with "difficult" things to do, you should not have started building your own aeroplane anyway,

I don't necessarily agree that that is fair. Quick-build kits exist for a reason (I'm not building a QB, but I wouldn't fault anyone for doing this). Pre-fab tanks are just another point in the spectrum of how much time and frustration want to reduce with extra dollars. There are those who build their own engines, and those who do quickbuild kits, and a whole range in between.

On this topic... how much harder is the slider to install than the tip-up?

do you do L R tanks for rv9S

I HAVE A RV9A WITH A LYC 180 AND HAVE FLOWN ABOUT 130 HOURS. NOW OUT OF NOWHERE, MY LEFT TANK LEAKS A STEADY DRIP. I HAVE JUST READ THE VANS SERVICE BULLITEN ON SAFETY WIRING FLOP-TYPE PICK UP TUBES. HAS ANY ONE HAD LEAK PROBLEMS?

Pilottonny said:
Hello fellow builders,

I build "long range" tanks (3 extra bays) so I know what I am talking about! It is just a job like any other! Make sure you use hypodermical syringes to apply the pro seal, that way you can really dose the pro-seal, so you do not put on more than is necessary (and make a mess of things).

My god, there is worst jobs to do. There is a lot of people out there making a nuisance of themselves by exaggerating things. Don't let them put you off, It is as easy as the rest of the building process, and ones your finished you will know.......... its no problem at all and you will have accomplished another job in the building process of your own plane.!!

If you did not want to put up with "difficult" things to do, you should not have started building your own aeroplane anyway, so, get on with it and enjoy while your at it !!

Happy building,

PilotTonny.

PS: When you pressure test your tanks and they are tight, you will feel that "drug-like-rush" and forget all about the messy process of building them anyway! :)

pre-builts...

I'm just installing the pre-builts on my standard build otherwise wings and things are looking good. The 'only' confusing part is where the wings instructions pick back up for the pre built wings. My splice plate took some work to get real close to matching the tanks curvature (1/32"+).

With the CNC match holes- things could be a lot worse.

I'm at 65 hours ready to rivet top skins- not sure how much time savings but has to be something.

I bought the pre-built wings because of the time lag between getting the emp kit and a QB kit. I was moving for speed of build, the pre-built tanks gave me an 'in-betweener' while waiting for the QB.

As it turned out, we moved and it took that long to get things set up and back in the swing of things and my fuse arrived just as I cracked into the wings.

Good RV lesson to learn- life happens!

Back