What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Practical 3d prints for switch/ breaker clusters

VectorVX

I'm New Here
I've been playing with this idea for my -8 panel and it is turning out to be quite practical.

The mission parameters were:

1- Easy 1 tool extraction of switch cluster for fast serviceability.
2- Very compact assembly and wiring.
3- Eliminate all the switch/breaker nuts from view to minimalize the panel, this also allowed for slots at each switch.
4- provide anti rotation for switches and breakers in the case where someone drills the holes and cannot incorporate keyways easily.
5- Ability to get a lot of pre-wiring done on the bench (mainly for the fixed side wing portions of the panel)
6- future avionics upgrade = very fast
7- Uses anodized bezels at each cluster for laser marking in the case of a carbon fiber main panel

I've done a few panels and the philosophy on this one was to be able to get any airframe related wiring away from the removable panel portion so that in the future, an avionics upgrade would be very quick. I also do not like having 5 lb of wire servicing switch/breaker panels down low, its weight and doesn't seem like it would be intuitive in a crisis or at night.
P.S. I still have yet laser mark the anodized bezels. will post final pics when complete.

IMG_9162.jpg
IMG_9163.jpg

Back