What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Power Tool Manufacturers

Mike Armstrong

Well Known Member
I'm soon coming to the point that I need to buy power tools (drill press capable of 250rpm or slower,variable speed 6" bench grinder so Scotch Brite wheels will fit,disc sander that has a wide flat belt,band saw with a wide throat,ect.ect) for my new shop. I've got plenty of information on 'which' tools to buy but little info on 'the best' manufacturers. From browsing the internet it seems that brands like Sears (oiled, belt driven air compressor with high capacity and good cfm@psi ratings) and Delta (everything else) are often mentioned as very good brands. I've read several times to stay away from Chinese made Harbor Freight tools. It would be nice to stick to one brand for ease of purchase/repair and either Google up the best buys (E-bay or Tool only stores) or go down to my local Lowes and buy all Delta stuff but I would like to hear what Name Brands you guys recommend first. Thanks

Mike

I wouldn't say Delta is a very good brand. I have their $100 band saw and while it's fine for what we're doing, it's what I'd consider a good one. For my use, I'd buy it again though.

When buying tools that need replacement items such as bandsaw blades, sanding discs and belts, etc., make sure the place you buy the tools from has the replacement parts on hand, and in the type you want. For example, bandsaw blades of the proper tooth spacing, sanding items of the coarseness and type of material you want. Sears, for example has decent bandsaws, but to buy replacement blades they may require you to purchase a three-pack that includes two blades you probably won't want. BTW, all bandsaws from Sears or big box stores are made for wood, and you will find when working with aluminum that they won't be happy!
I have a Delta (from Lowes) grinder with variable speed to mount the two Scotchbrite (med. and fine) wheels, which works well after removing the wheel guards, tool rests and such. You won't need them.
Also, a Delta 1"x8" disc/belt sander, but have had to buy larger (9") sanding discs and trim to fit.
Get a floor model drill press- Sears usually has good sales on them- for the stability, speed control, and chuck travel.
Everything you are going to buy will be Chinese; at least with the "brand" names you have some recourse when they **** out.

Back when I first bought all my tools for around the house (drill, circular saw, saber saw, sawzall,ect) I found that no one manufacturer makes 'all' of the best tools, rather, each manufacturer makes 'a' best tool. I ended up with a different manufacturers for each of my power tools. Is it the same with other power tools such as drill presses, bench grinders,ect?

I love Harbor freight

some of their stuff is junk that is true but a lot of it pretty darned good.

I got their industrial bench grinder for $60 and free standing 16 speed drill press.

The grinder (scotch brite wheel) is just awesome and the drill press is definatly OK.

Their 6" bench chop saw with an aluminium oxide disc is a wonderful tool.

FWIW

Frank

Favorite HFtool

frankh said:
some of their stuff is junk that is true but a lot of it pretty darned good.

I got their industrial bench grinder for $60 and free standing 16 speed drill press.

The grinder (scotch brite wheel) is just awesome and the drill press is definitely OK.

Their 6" bench chop saw with an aluminium oxide disc is a wonderful tool.

FWIW

Frank
This one is my favorite HF tool... cheap... just throw it away when it fails.... hasn't failed yet... :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93157

93157.gif

With 2 inch sanding disks or Scotchbrite disks, it will shape and cut aluminum angle and sheet really accurately after a rough cut on your Delta band saw with a woodcutting blade...

gil A

You might look up grizzly power tools as well. Generally not as expensive as say delta and you can get some good deals. I've used a grizzly tools with the pops building guitars and doing general blacksmith work and absolutly love them give them a looksky!

www.grizzly.com

A lot of the lower priced Grizzly stuff looks just like the HF stuff except with green paint & a higher price. Grizz does seem to require better quality control. One person here a few years ago received their Grizz tool with an extra motor, US made with a note saying the Chinese motor supplied with the tool had a high failure rate & they supplied the US made motor for when that one fails.

Richard Scott
RV-9A Fuselage

I bought a Riobi bandsaw and bench grinder from home depot. They have both served their purpose. I immediatelly changed the blade on the bandsaw to 14 tpi (here's a link to where I got the blades, go to the bottom of this page http://www.rv8alog.com/empennage/hstab/hs4.htm ) and get pretty straight cuts. My only wish would be for more than 12" depth, but then you get into higher dollar items.

For a drill press, I got the cheapest benchtop model from Sears. Overall I'm pretty happy with it, the one exception is that the crank to raise and lower the bed is made out of plastic and it broke when it got banged around during transport. The laser is crosshairs are worthless for accurate (or even inacuarate :) ) drilling.

Ya grizzly is usually really good about customer satisfaction!
looks can be decieving as well i've had some of the cheapest looking and costing tools out last the more expensive and name brand stuff.

My tool experience

I have been happy with my Ryobi bandsaw, but clearly it is a cheap tool and is unlikely to last too many years. It's a bit larger than the standard when it comes to replacement blades. Typical blades are about 59.5 inches, and unless I am very careful, the adjustment knob comes off the top when I decrease the tension to change blades and it is a pain in the neck to put back on. I originally bought an even cheaper Lowes brand bandsaw (can't remember the name right now) but it was real garbage, so don't recommend that. I have a Delta benchtop drill press and am very happy with that. I use an old Makita belt sander (25 years old at least!) laid on its side for sanding and shaping aluminum parts - I was too cheap to buy a bench sander, but this has worked fine. DO NOT buy a Lowes Kobalt compressor. I bought one in August (the 30-gal model with all the "free" tools that are generally not too long-lived or useful for me) and it crapped out on me within two months. Lowes replaced it with another one which only lasted about 3 weeks. I finally just got my money back and bought a DeWalt a few weeks ago. No telling how long it will last, but it seems better built.

I think the bottom line is generally you get what you pay for. Sometimes one gets lucky and gets a good tool as an "off" brand, then other times you pay for a good name brand and get junk.

greg

Mike,

it is interessting, and as an engineer I strongly encourage the use of good (usually expensive) tools - especially power tools. That said, I have built my 9A with 3 main tools all from Harbor Freight, and all have lasted well (some are now over 6 years old) and have continued to be accurate. they are the 6 x 3 (?) band saw - floor mounted it on rolling castors and usually have it in the upright position, the 4" belt sander with the 6" round disc, and the cheap desk top drill press. All are very simple - a cheap but robust electric motor driving the device by belts. Little to go really wrong, and very easy to repair, and all built out of solid cast iron. I think my best buy was the band saw - buy a good multipitch/bi-metallic blade and it will cut forever.

Allan

Back