What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Power to the Panel!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I haven’t been doing a lot of status posting on the Rocket project because, frankly I’ve been busy building! Most of what I have been doing is building up interior panels, storage bins, and starting wiring - its so much easier to do that stuff before you start installing canopy rails, frames, and canopies! And that goes for panel and avionics wiring as well - so the past few weeks I have been wiring up the panel itself - and this week saw power on the panel-mounted avionics for the first time. The Garmin CAN bus starts out with the pitch servo in back, winds its way forward through a couple of boxes, goes into the panel, then comes back out of the panel to a couple of more boxes - and ends at the Magnetometer in the wingtip. In order to get the panel boxes to talk on the bus, I had to stick CAN terminators on the stub ends of the panel harness - and the result is cool! I can tune the radios from the GDU, and the GDU uses the AHARS data from the G5 - all like its supposed to work! Of course, most functionality has to wait until we get all the airframe boxes connected - but its always fun to light things up.

AB5132A0-20AA-4C18-988D-11C4A43AFDD8.jpeg

And they view from behind - you can tell I like lacing cord….. (the blue tie wraps are temporary and will be gone when the panel harness gets connected to the airframe harness….which is in work!
3541D4E2-EB25-466A-83E3-62B7529A0698.jpeg

I haven’t been doing a lot of status posting on the Rocket project because, frankly I’ve been busy building! Most of what I have been doing is building up interior panels, storage bins, and starting wiring - its so much easier to do that stuff before you start installing canopy rails, frames, and canopies! And that goes for panel and avionics wiring as well - so the past few weeks I have been wiring up the panel itself - and this week saw power on the panel-mounted avionics for the first time. The Garmin CAN bus starts out with the pitch servo in back, winds its way forward through a couple of boxes, goes into the panel, then comes back out of the panel to a couple of more boxes - and ends at the Magnetometer in the wingtip. In order to get the panel boxes to talk on the bus, I had to stick CAN terminators on the stub ends of the panel harness - and the result is cool! I can tune the radios from the GDU, and the GDU uses the AHARS data from the G5 - all like its supposed to work! Of course, most functionality has to wait until we get all the airframe boxes connected - but its always fun to light things up.

View attachment 66651

And they view from behind - you can tell I like lacing cord….. (the blue tie wraps are temporary and will be gone when the panel harness gets connected to the airframe harness….which is in work!
View attachment 66652
Big Step - Congrats !

That looks great Paul!! Very professional. Though, are you sure you have enough of a service loop in the main display cable? (I assume removal is pulling it into the cockpit). It seems like a large cockpit, but when things are closed up there's not as much room to sit in the seat and pull boxes out as you may think, especially with the stick in the center. Hope it works out well for you.

Back