What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Power Supply

HSANTIBANEZ

Well Known Member
Dear All friends, please i need information to place a ground power supply socket, where are the best place tu put it, cessna or piper type, other best solution, I think in that day that the master gets on overnight and only have a car with 12 v.

Regards

Choices choices

I placed my Piper type to the right and just to the rear of my battery tray, which is in the rear of my RV-8, and the plug is nestled in a corner to have the best support. I used a brass plate as a doubler. It made sense for me as I used the battery tray to mount both the master contactor and the ground power contactor.

This minimized additional cable (it uses about a foot total cable). I also thought about where I would want to be when disconnecting after a start would I were the line boy doing the deed. I've done this on Bonanzas where the connector is close to the firewall and I don't like being between the wing and the prop. Cessna 182s have them on the firewall also, but there is more room to maneuver on a high wing.

Another consideration is that the "start cart" or vehicle you are using for the jump needs to be ahead of the wing unless you have a long cable for those connectors close to the firewall. So mine wound up in the back, where standard jumper cables could reach and the groundsman is relatively out of harms way.

If your battery and main buss is more forward, perhaps you can find a suitable spot below the floorboards or perhaps in the wing.

Don

Dissimilar Metals Corrosion

I used a brass plate as a doubler.

Not sure if I understand where the brass plate doubler goes, but you should be aware that brass and aluminum are far apart on the electrochemical series. If in contact with each other dissimilar metals corrosion will result.

Back