What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Power Flow exhaust on -7A?

aparchment

Well Known Member
Guys:

I would like to use one of the Power Flow tuned exhausts on the IO-360 I will put in my -7A, and I was wondering if anyone has seen or done this, and if so was there a problem clearing the nose gear. It doesn't seem to be a problem on the Diamond, and that's a pretty tight cowl and nosegear combination (see: http://www.powerflowsystems.com/products.php?cat_id=2&pid=15_)

Also, how do you install a heat muff(s) on the Power Flow exhaust?

Antony

PwerFlows...

Guys:

I would like to use one of the Power Flow tuned exhausts on the IO-360 I will put in my -7A, and I was wondering if anyone has seen or done this, and if so was there a problem clearing the nose gear. It doesn't seem to be a problem on the Diamond, and that's a pretty tight cowl and nosegear combination (see: http://www.powerflowsystems.com/products.php?cat_id=2&pid=15_)

Also, how do you install a heat muff(s) on the Power Flow exhaust?

Antony

On the Grumman the heat muff is a "box" around the folded back individual pipes just ahead of the oil pan - where the "cross-over" pipe is on the standard Vetterman exhaust.

You can see it in this picture...

grumman_aa5-b_pic1.jpg

But... unofficial testing on Grummans seems to indicate that a Vetterman exhaust produces as much power increase as a PowerFlow. There may be an effort under way for a STC - or at least a 337 installation. Remember, the baseline for the PowerFlow increase is the very restrictive stock muffler system - anything that reduces the restriction makes a big improvement.

Gil A - with a PowerFlow on my Tiger...

ADDED

Here is the Diamond version showing the heat muff.... I guess this installation has it aft of the oil pan.

po35.jpg

Last edited:
good start

Thanks Gil, that's helpful on the heat muff question.

Does anyone have any input on the "fit" question in a 7A?

I agree with Gil, there's no big deal about Power Flow on an experiemental as the stock pipes (ie Vetterman) are so much better than the stock certified items. Bear in mind that each type of aircraft requires a specific design of exhaust pipe to cope with location of the various components, so on an RV your induction choice (carb, vert injection, horiz injection, etc) will dictate the shape of the pipe. With an A model there is definitely a potential issue with tail pipe and the nose gear and the 4:1 and the engine control cables.

Sky Dynamics also produce 4 into 1 pipes, but as with AWI I don't think they offer a pipe for every combination of engine and induction system. It might be worth calling Powerflow to ask if they will do a pipe for your 7A? That's one huge benefit of using a Vetterman pipe - he will make a pipe for just about any configuration, including heat muffs, and will modify it at a very reasonable cost if it doesn't fit. His customer service is outstanding.

Pete
6A, O-320, considered injection and 4 into 1, too difficult to retrofit

I will admit that this has been several years ago, but I talked with PowerFlow about getting one of their exhausts for an O-320 9A. They said that they didn't have anything that would fit and that they were studying the situation as the RV's looked like a big market. Later they told me they decided against making something for RV's as theit system didn't offer any significant advantage over a Vetterman exhaust. That may have changed, but you would have to talk to them about it. The standard exhaust is excellent and FAR better than what they normally compare their systems to (Piper/Cessna.)

Bob Kelly

good stuff

This is good information. Thanks guys. If anyone has pics, please put add them to this thread.

Kevin, a friend of mine who is building a -7 is checking into the AMI alternative. I will post what he learns.

Antony

HEY! That's me!

This is the Top secret Hangar 5 Beerworks Enhanced Exhaust Gas Technologies Development Division he is speaking of.

Details to follow!

:D CJ

Back