What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Potential RV-10 Builder

CJK

Well Known Member
Hi, all,

I'm on the verge of taking the plunge and ordering the empennage kit for an RV-10, mainly because of the enthusiasm and support I've seen from RV builders for others, whether they're just starting or are "repeat offenders."

I am definitely in the "just starting" category, even though I first considered building an airplane almost 20 years ago before I took my first flight lesson! After fits and starts over the past 19 years, I finally rearranged my priorities and finished up my private license, and I'm currently training for my instrument rating. However, I'm definitely a low time pilot (around 100 hours) and will be until I have my own airplane.

That brings me to the RV-10: I'm in love with the thing, at least on paper (er, on the web, more like!). I've been admiring Scott Schmidt's beautiful plane, and if mine turns out half as nice, I'll be thrilled! That said, I've never sat in an RV-10 or flown one -- the only person I know with an RV is still building his RV-10, so I have a few questions for the builders and pilots out there:

1. Is it comfortable for tall people (I'm 6'1") with long legs (34" inseam)? How about in the back seats?
2. Is it too much airplane for a low-ish time pilot? I've flown mainly PA28 series aircraft in civilian life, but I didn't kill myself (or my instructor) in a T-34C in the Navy either.
3. I'm planning on trekking over to Alexander Technical Center in GA this summer for a class to learn the techniques I'll need to finish the plane -- anything else I should do to pick up any other skills I might need?

Thanks to all for your postings, which I've read with great interest (and especially to Doug Reeves for this web site)!

I hope to add "RV-10 underway" to my signature soon!

Best regards,
-- Chris

Welcome! I've finished my emp and wings and am awaiting my QB fuse. I am 6'2'' tall/200 lbs. and have plenty of room, it certainly has much more room than an Arrow/Warrior and it has two doors! I've flown in a few RV-10's and it's very comfortable, I took my transition training with Alex in Texas (rvtraining.com) if you want to get motivated to build, nothing beats 5 hours and you'll get your HP endorsement if you need it. Good luck and have fun.

Chris,
I am the same physical size as you (probably fatter!!:rolleyes:) and I am very comfortable in the -10. My wife is tall (5'10") as well. We were in a partnership in a J35 Bonanza for several years and I can assure you that the -10 is quite a bit roomier. I have ridden in the back seat of a -10 and it is quite comfortable for me.

I don't think you should worry about the airplane being "too much" for you, either. Get some good dual and ease yourself into it, and you will be fine. The constant speed prop will be the big difference compared to the PA-28. Of course, the -10 will be faster, but you will adjust to that pretty quickly. Depending on what kind of avionics you end up installing, you could end up spending more time learning the intricacies of the avionics than getting comfortable with the stick and rudder stuff.

My wife and I built our empennage at Synergy Air in Oregon to learn the basics of construction. I think your plan to check out Alexander Tech Center is a good idea. We were very happy with Synergy and I don't think we would have been able to finish the project without the training. There are other choices for builder assistance, but I am only familiar with Synergy and Alexander. They both have a great reputation.

We loved the Bonanza and traveled all over the country in it. We are just beginning to travel in the -10 and really are excited about it. It is a great traveling machine!

Good Luck,

Another good way to get building experience is to help another builder. Plus, the favor gets returned when you need an extra set of hands.

I would also consider going to Osh this year and spend some time in the camp grounds with the -10 builders, and on the -10 flight line. Great place to talk non-stop -10 building, the in's and out's besides here and on the Matronics list.

Building an RV-10

You are gonna love the -10. It is a wonderful flying machine. My first flight in mine was July of 2006. I now have 250+ hours on it and just finished upgrading my 3 screen GRT Panel to duel 8.4" GRT Horizon HX's with synthatic vision and upgraded the sport to a Sport 100 6.5" screen just to show the engine monitor info all the time.

As shown below I am building again and am putting in duel Horizon's in the RV-7 as well.

Best regards,

Many Thanks!

Thank you all for the encouragement! I'm more than pleased to hear that the RV-10 is roomier than the planes I've been flying, and I appreciate the tips and advice as well!

I'm going to try to get to OSH if my schedule will allow even a brief visit -- it's been a goal for several years, but I've never had as good a reason to attend as I will have this year!

-- Chris

If you do make OSH make SURE you stop by the RV-10 area in camp Scholler (5-10 minute walk behind the big display hangars). Every afternoon/evening there are gatherings but there are also ususally have a couple of cookouts where you'll see 40-50 RV-10 builders/flyers plus some vendors.

Sometime after Sun-N-Fun we'll start planning for this year.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM (flying)

Random Thoughts

Cris,

I had the wonderful opportunity to fly with Renee' Felker of Ogden, UT, in his 70 hour old -10 recently. I was interested in the control sensitivity and using sticks (sorry folks, I've only flown Cessna spam cans). I have only 250 hours (PPL). While I didn't land the plane, we did some steep turns and slow flight. Renee' even stalled for me. I was pleasantly surprised that the -10 had a gentle stall and gave plenty of warning ahead of the break. Perhaps this was due to Renee's handling, but it's what I observed. I flew with my right hand which is not something I've done much of.... The airplane was delightful to fly. While I have a grand total of 0 PIC time, I can't imagine transition for me into this high performance machine to be overly challenging.

Renee' was generous with his time, his airplane, and inane questioning. I am grateful to him.

Just a few thoughts.... I hope this is useful!
Michael

Hi, all,

1. Is it comfortable for tall people (I'm 6'1") with long legs (34" inseam)? How about in the back seats?

I hope to add "RV-10 underway" to my signature soon!

Best regards,
-- Chris

Chris, I certainly cannot be construed as an expert on the 10, didn't even stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night, but the first time I sat in a 10, I immediately felt I had more room than I had in my Bonanza, front seats and back. The 10's I have been in since, did nothing but validate that initial feeling. One other thing you don't hear much about is the fantastic view over the cowl, a very wonderful sight seeing airplane.

Enjoy and welcome to the dark side.

I'm currently eagerly awaiting the arrival of my "info pack" from Van's, and I've been invited to visit the shop of a local builder, whose RV-10 is well underway.

I've been told not to purchase any tools prior to taking the class at Alexander Technical Center, where I'll have the chance to try several different brands of tools for myself before deciding which to buy. However, is there anything universally considered a must-have, though, that I could get now?

Thanks again to all who've posted!!

-- Chris

RV-10 Empennage, Wings and Tools For Sale

I have a RV 10 empennage completed less fiberglass. The wings are skinned on the top and the leading edges are done. The fuel tanks are complete except for the baffles and sending units. The ailerons are complete except for the trailing edges. One flap is complete except for trailing edge. The other is halfway. All parts have been etched then primed with Marhide aluminum primer. I did a very good job deburing all holes, skins, ribs etc. Quality craftsmanship. Always kept in climate controlled environment until last month. It is still stored inside. All tools used for assembly are also for sale. I'm asking Vans price for the parts $12,540 you get 670 hours of labor for free. I have logs. Tools to be sold at 75% of Avery/Cleveland price. I'm located in west central Indiana. Pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rv10builder/

Jeremy Black
[email protected]
765-720-2434

I'm in!

Just wanted to post that earlier today, I took the plunge: I ordered my empennage kit!

This weekend I'll be working on getting part of the garage turned into a shop...

:D <-- RV grin (early stage)

-- Chris

re: congrats

Congradulations. You'll be happy you're building a -10, it's a lot of fun.:)

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM
fuse/cabin top/ wiring

I'm Jealous!

Congratulations CJK! I've gotten approval on the proof of concept, but nothing more... ..yet.

Happy Building!
Michael

Thanks, guys! I'm very excited myself - I'm having the kit shipped to Alexander Technical Center in GA, where I'll be taking their RV Tail Kit class June 8-13. Should have a big part of the empennage completed by June 14!

I'll post pictures for sure, but in the meanwhile, I want to thank the many RV-10 builders who've posted detailed construction logs on the web. I've been studying all of them, and I'm learning tons and tons (and generating millions of questions, too!).

Regards,
-- Chris

P.S. Michael, I'm not sure I've actually gotten what you'd call "approval" from the domestic CFO -- more like "cautious tolerance" -- but at least she's not thrown me out of the house yet. ;)

Thanks, guys! I'm very excited myself - I'm having the kit shipped to Alexander Technical Center in GA, where I'll be taking their RV Tail Kit class June 8-13. Should have a big part of the empennage completed by June 14!

I'll post pictures for sure, but in the meanwhile, I want to thank the many RV-10 builders who've posted detailed construction logs on the web. I've been studying all of them, and I'm learning tons and tons (and generating millions of questions, too!).

Regards,
-- Chris

P.S. Michael, I'm not sure I've actually gotten what you'd call "approval" from the domestic CFO -- more like "cautious tolerance" -- but at least she's not thrown me out of the house yet. ;)

Well at least on June 14 you will have somewhere to sleep!:rolleyes:

Back