What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Posting this Sport Plot question since many fly the 12 as a Sport Plot

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Wanted to share this info re sport pilot and logbooks. I was just on a wings course re: ramp checks tonight, it was good.

I asked the question if an electronic log book would work in instead of carrying a the physical log book. The answer was yes, then I asked about the endorsements. Which lead to some research you will see below. I personally had my instructor that signed off my 2 endorsements enter them in my logbook and also on a card which I laminated and carry with my license in my wallet when I received them. I also added a photo in my electronic logbook along with a photo of my Sport Pilot License

The response from the seminar chat a nod Q&A
“Great question Dave, 61.51 pilot logbook, a sport pilot must carry his or her logbook or other evidence of required authorized instructor endorsements on all flights.”

Then the second response
“ the operative wording “or other evidence”. You should keep your endorsement and electronic logbook. Photos work.”

Curious what others are doing for the endorsements. I use MyFlightbook.

Open for discussion?

Last edited:
Wanted to share this info re sport pilot and logbooks. I was just on a wings course re: ramp checks tonight, it was good.

I asked the question if an electronic log book would work in instead of carrying a the physical log book. The answer was yes, then I asked about the endorsements. Which lead to some research you will see below. I personally had my instructor that signed off my 2 endorsements enter them in my logbook and also on a card which I laminated and carry with my license in my wallet when I received them. I also added a photo in my electronic logbook along with a photo of my Sport Pilot License

The response from the seminar chat a nod Q&A
“Great question Dave, 61.51 pilot logbook, a sport pilot must carry his or her logbook or other evidence of required authorized instructor endorsements on all flights.”

Then the second response
“ the operative wording “or other evidence”. You should keep your endorsement and electronic logbook. Photos work.”

Curious what others are doing for the endorsements.

Open for discussion?
Not specific to sport pilot, but I still use the old paper log book for all endorsements. Not that old, but there is something about flipping through a good book. I do use an electronic log book, MyFlightbook as well. I normally enter all my flights with track logs into myflightbook and once a month I transcribe into my paper log book. That is until I need a new endorsement or BFR. I make sure my paper logbook is up to date and have the CFI, DPE,… make the annotation in there. I take a picture of the endorsement and upload it to MyFlightbook. I can access my electronic logbook from my iPad or phone with ease, so no need to carry the log book. Also negates having critical endorsements in multiple books. Like my high performance and complex, used to be a single endorsement, are in my first full log book, while my last BFR is in my current log book.

I think that is unique to those that hold an actual sport pilot certificate. I (and many others flying 12's, hold commercial certificates, private or ATP). I asked an FAA inspector in the Seattle FSDO about this and he said I didn't need to carry my endorsements as they are implied by my certificate which made sense to me. Interested to hear others opinions.

I think that is unique to those that hold an actual sport pilot certificate. I (and many others flying 12's, hold commercial certificates, private or ATP). I asked an FAA inspector in the Seattle FSDO about this and he said I didn't need to carry my endorsements as they are implied by my certificate which made sense to me. Interested to hear others opinions.
I was wondering about this exact issue today. I am a private operating as a sport pilot. Does this mean I have to carry around endorsements or is it implied I have had the required training to operate in B, C and D airspace because I hold a private cert?
The regs state that for an existing pilot to act as a sport pilot, you must abide by the privileges and limitations of a sport pilot. One limitation is that you may not fly in Class B, C or D without a proper endorsement from an instructor. It also makes sense to me that this would be implied that one would be qualified holding a higher cert but I have not been able to get a definite answer. I am also interested to hear thoughts on this. Thank you

Last edited:
The FAA on the wings talk stated and electronic version would work. But if ramp checked you might have to produce it since the FAR states 61.51

(3) A sport pilot must carry his or her logbook or other evidence of required authorized instructor endorsements on all flights.

The also added the operative wording “or other evidence”. You should keep your endorsement and electronic logbook. Photos work.” But pilot exercising as a sport would be ok since they had it with the Pilot license

I'm a Sport Pilot (not Private operating as Sport, but Sport from the beginning). My plastic certificate has text on the back "SPORT ENDORSEMENT(S) AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND"... but that's not sufficient, because 61.327(b) requires an endorsement for aircraft with Vh greater than 87 KCAS, and I regularly operate in B/C/D airspace so I need my 61.325 endorsement as well.

The FAA has specifically stated that photocopies are acceptable for Sport Pilots:
§ 61.51 currently allows for “other evidence” of instructor endorsements; therefore the FAA will continue to allow sport pilots and flight instructors with a sport pilot rating to carry photocopies of required authorized instructor endorsements in lieu of carrying their logbooks.

But I can't see anything that says the "other evidence" must be a photocopy. Advisory Circular 120-78A gives broad permission for the use of electronic records in lieu of paper, including "a digitized image of a handwritten signature that is attached to an electronic record", and says that "the use of an electronic signature, electronic recordkeeping system, or electronic manual system under part 61, 63, 65, 91 (excluding 91K), 137, or 183 does not require formal FAA approval, acceptance, or authorization."

So, what I did is took photos of the endorsements in my old paper logbook and attached them to entries in my Foreflight logbook, which is available on my phone and iPad in the plane. If any FAA source says that isn't sufficient, I'll start carrying paper, but as far as I can tell the digital version is fine.

Back