What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Post cabin top fitting

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Just finish up the cabin top trim fitting. My plan is to complete all the drilling and necessary work done for mounting. After thats done removing it to finish the inside of the top, along with rigging and wiring inside the fuselage before permanently mounting the top to the fuselage. Does this sound reasonable or any recommendations?

Regarding the door flange. I have not cut it out yet. After reviewing the options I have decided to stay with the Vans method and use a different type of seal. Following the scribe line it looks like only a small amount of the radius remains on the top and sides and on the bottom the radius is cut away. Does the radius need to be cut out or could most of it be left uncut and have the door still fit in properly. If material needs to be removed, is the scribe line a good place to start, or should I keep more flange than the amount set by the scribe line.

Thanks

That's a good plan to finish the cabin cover off the plane. Can't help you with the seal but I can vouch for the alternative McMaster seal and cutting the opening flange back for the seal to fit. I have zero air or water entry with the seal and am very glad I took the extra time to fit and use it.

Ditto

It has taken extra time and effort but I really like the McMaster seal. As for the scribe lines...I would take them with a LARGE grain of salt...same with the index holes for the doors. Definitely not impressed with the quality and fit of the cabin top and doors...it is too bad that no one has offered it aftermarket...

Hi Rich,
Before you cut the scribe line I would fit the doors. I would only cut the lip that might be necessary to fabricate the doors. After you get the doors glued up you will be able to see what trimming is needed on the door frame.
I agree with your plan. Finishing the inside of the cabin cover is much easier when it's not attached. It's also easier to finish the rest of the inside of the fuse when it's not attached. Wait for the windows until it is permanently attached though.
I am in town this week and plan on being at the airport today or tomorrow if you are around I'll swing by.
Bill

Back