What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Possible stupid question for 6A builders

NYTOM

Well Known Member
Being a little impatient after a long time building I'm about to put my left wing to bed in its wall cradle wrapped in plastic. I'd love to include a completed control stick to bell-crank push rod assembly. My plans call for a 58 3/4" approximate length rod with exact length to be determined at assembly. Would I really be sorry someday if I completed the rod now at the 58 3/4" length? Could the final length be so different that I couldn't install the rod using the available adjustment in the threaded rod end bearings? So far every dimension has been right on with the plans and I'm surprised Van is suggesting I wait on this one. Anyone remember if their push rod was longer or shorter than the 58 3/4"?

I do not have the length handy, and it will be 2 weeks before I can get to the hanger where the "D" size drawing are. When I cut them to fit, I marked the dimensions on the drawings.

I finished one end (wing bell crank end) when I built the wings and left the control stick end untrimmed until I had the wings and sticks mounted. It is easy enough to finish the tubes when you get farther along and the wings are on permanently. It is very easy to pull the tubes out and install them at any time, so it just is not a big deal.

I gotta be patient

Noel don't take the time to go check although I do appreciate your offer. I decided I'm going to do exactly as you did. I have one end done in the wing now and I'll just leave it till I fit the wings. I"m just putting the cart before the horse again. I've paid before for jumping ahead of myself. You'd think I'd learn.:rolleyes:

A -6 special...

Noel don't take the time to go check although I do appreciate your offer. I decided I'm going to do exactly as you did. I have one end done in the wing now and I'll just leave it till I fit the wings. I"m just putting the cart before the horse again. I've paid before for jumping ahead of myself. You'd think I'd learn.:rolleyes:

Tom... the RV-6 guys (and I presume the RV-4 guys too) have an easier technique for aileron fitting than the later -7 and -9 guys....:)

Using the steel center spar joiners, you can assemble the two wings together without the fuselage - just support them on sawhorses.

Do this, then bolt the stick support angles onto the spar along with the two control sticks and center link, and then adjust the whole aileron system.
Cut your push rods to length at this time and adjust all of the rod end bearings.

Much easier than the guys with the later kits....

I'd just wait...

After 12+ years of RV-6A construction, I'm almost ready to fly and just recently finished up those push rods. I had left as was suggested above; one end done and other left a little long until adjusting at final assembly. Was a very quick job at that point and no guessing needed. I finished the wings 7 or 8 years ago so the pushrods stayed that way for quite a while. Only risk of guessing or trying to set up the wings together on saw horses for fitting now is that you might have to rework them at final assembly time, but there's no real need to rush that job and trying to figure it out now would just slow your progress (yes, I'm pretty well versed in slow progress.....).

I would...

After 12+ years of RV-6A construction, I'm almost ready to fly and just recently finished up those push rods. I had left as was suggested above; one end done and other left a little long until adjusting at final assembly. Was a very quick job at that point and no guessing needed. I finished the wings 7 or 8 years ago so the pushrods stayed that way for quite a while. Only risk of guessing or trying to set up the wings together on saw horses for fitting now is that you might have to rework them at final assembly time, but there's no real need to rush that job and trying to figure it out now would just slow your progress (yes, I'm pretty well versed in slow progress.....).

....hope that is not the case. It is not a guess, it is a partial assembly.

If you use the steel joiner pieces, there should be no errors in the assembly with the two wings on sawhorses, and everything in the center section area (the sticks in the cockpit) is out in the open and completely accessible.

The only parts that would not be set are the incidence and sweep, but since the control sticks are bolted directly to the spar, any less than visible variations in sweep or incidence would have a negligible effect on pushrod length.

It is much easier to align the aileron system this way..... but your choice...:)

I think we agree Gil

The guessing I was referring to was the proposal of just using the dimension off the drawing and hope for the best. I agree, if one took the time to setup the partial assembly, the length should come out correct. For me, I just think the time and effort it would take to do that isn't worth it as the whole rigging assembly and fitting those pushrods was a pretty short operation once the wings were on.

Great suggestion Gill!!

In retrospect, I would have probably finished the tubes with the wings if I was aware of your process, but I couldn't think of an acceptable "exact" solution back then. Therefore, I waited.

I also am an extremely sloooow builder, and sometimes, it is important to actually finish something, just for the emotional satisfaction of being able to look at "finished" items. As I said earlier, I finished the tubes after the wings were attached, the ailerons were installed, the sticks and all bell cranks and push tubes installed and aligned. Gill, you have a good solution using just the wings, because I believe you end up with the same results.

Push Rods

I finsihed mine per the plans and they came up short. I had to use long rod ends to get them rigged. I would wait and get a good measurment when installed. Leave the wingtips off and the rods come out with no problem.

Go with Gil

I did it Gil's way and it was easy to work around the wings. The final assembly was spot on. :)

Not Stupid at all!

Being a little impatient after a long time building I'm about to put my left wing to bed in its wall cradle wrapped in plastic. I'd love to include a completed control stick to bell-crank push rod assembly. My plans call for a 58 3/4" approximate length rod with exact length to be determined at assembly. Would I really be sorry someday if I completed the rod now at the 58 3/4" length? Could the final length be so different that I couldn't install the rod using the available adjustment in the threaded rod end bearings? So far every dimension has been right on with the plans and I'm surprised Van is suggesting I wait on this one. Anyone remember if their push rod was longer or shorter than the 58 3/4"?

I, being a very slow builder have had the same question till now unanswered (not asked).

I have all airframe parts done, except the Fuselage which is in the slow build box.

I had thought of Gil's idea but had not gotten to doing it.

I will be painting all that is done and putting it in storage, but before I do that I will finish my tube lengths and test the sticks.

Thanks for starting this post NY Tom.

PRB Tom, (Paso Robles)

Great time to be alive

Thanks for starting this post NY Tom.PRB Tom, (Paso Robles)

No problem Tom, glad my question helped. Nice to know there are others like myself who are still out there building the best RV model ever designed. :D Great planes take time.;)
And thanks again to Gil for his expert advice. He's got me straightened out before. I sure wish he lived down the street from me. As soon as I complete the second wing I'll try his method on the push rods. I'd like to complete as much as possible before going to the airport and like "noelf" I get a lot of satisfaction from fully completing a component. Although its necessary sometimes, I hate leaving any loose ends.
What a great time we live in. Here I am sitting in a rented beach house not more than a quarter mile from the Wright Brothers first flight memorial in Kitty Hawk and find my question about my first home built airplane is still being viewed. Haven't checked in since last week and was surprised to see it still going. It's probable my age and the fact that my first phone number only had 5 digits but the technology available to us is truly amazing. This site is the best investment I have made in my RV.:)

Be careful with plastic wrap.

One thing no one has mentioned; don't seal your wings with plastic. Moisture will condense inside the plastic and cannot dry out. They must "breathe".

Back