What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Possible Mike/TX Problem GTR-200

cactusman

Well Known Member
Patron
Any of you guys with the GTR-200 and Skyview system have a problem with the microphone jack?

Here's why i ask...

I have my avionics installed and do not have the engine kit yet.

I was at my local Frys Electronics and picked up a power supply and decided to do some of that computer geek stuff to put off my canopy work another day.

Anyway, powered it up, downloaded and updated Skyview to 7.1 and maps, etc as much as I could. Fuel pump was working...pulled the CB so it would stop grinding.

Powered my GTR-200 and plugged in my light speed headset (which is working fine) and my PTT on both sticks triggers a TX on the GTR. The GTR receives fine and I can hear the radio fine from a nearby icon handheld....

BUT it appears both the mics on either side are not working? Neither is the intercom picking up the microphones. When I plug in to either side, and push the PTT, I get a TX on the GTR-200, I get a RX on the ICOM and carrier, but no voice. It's like the microphone isn't making a connection either thru the intercom, or thru the actual radio.

I am guessing it is jack problem, but it seems weird that both mic jacks wouldn't be working, but both hearing jacks are working?!

Any ideas?

Last edited:
It is possible and I have not done any continuity checks, I seem to remember that I was puzzling over one of the diagrams for the insertion of the pins into the little black connectors....I usually double-check the colors are matching up when I plug them together and I seem to recall something wasn't matching up, but I did double-check the diagrams...

I guess I am wondering if any other recent builders in this area have had a problem with the headset jacks not TX correctly?

Possible Solution

Did you have headset power on before turning the radio on? If so try turning the heasdset power on after the radio is powered up or cycle headset power. I have Zulus and there is a dip switch setting (has something to do with the cell phone/helicopter setting) in the power pack that will eliminate this sequence issue. I have not changed the setting yet, I just power up the ANR after the radio power is applied.

Let me know if this works.

Make sure you have a ground at the jack. There should be isolation washers to keep it from grounding to airframe ground at the jack. So you have to have a ground wire from the intercom. Looking at the headset jack the tip is for ptt. The ring is for mic audio and the long part is ground.

Hello John,

Paul may be onto something. The Zulu headset has a dip switch selection for "Cell mic bias".

If you are using the GTR 200 as both your radio and your intercom, please turn this dip switch to the Off position. The factory position for this switch is On.

As mentioned, also make sure you are using insulation washers on the headset jacks to keep them isolated from aircraft ground.

Thanks,
Steve

I had a wiring issue with the PTT/Mic, too. Try to press the passenger PTT while having your headset plugged into the left seat jacks and see if you can hear yourself back through the Icom receiver...

Last edited:
Fixed - for now

Ok - fixed.

I tried all the DIP and cross-PTT stuff first. No joy.

I then pulled the jacks and re-reviewed the plans. These jacks come with a black plastic isolator and a beige ceramic isolator and a similar one appears to be on the jack.

I reset the jacks in place with the black one on the face of the jack against the seat pan and the ceramic one on the top of the seat pan and then the washer compressing them together. (I had both the black one and the ceramic one on top initially)

That sort of works until you press the mic jack all the way in and then it stops working. So I checked for more grounding issues. Nothing found.

I set the Zulu dips to Stereo, the Mike Bias to ON.

I turned on the intercom 3d and other settings to ON in the GTR-200 setup and all the intercom features appear to be working fine. Both sides and both speakers in the headsets are working, the intercom on both sides appears to be working and the PTT on both sticks appear to be correct and TX and RX to the proper sides to/from an external icom tx.

Haven't checked it with a iPod yet, but I am assuming that the intercom in the GTR is stereo and that was causing part of the problem.

More details if I find them.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. Looks like I needed all of them!

Last edited:
GTR-200 Rocking!

Hooked my iPhone up to the audio in jack between the two seats and all functions appeared to work on the GTR-200.

I have to give credit to Garmin - that is one sweet set-up. All the functions appear to be working and muting when TX, volume is controlled thru the menu. Haven't tried to make a call yet but if I have any problems will let you know.

Ok - fixed.

I tried all the DIP and cross-PTT stuff first. No joy.

I then pulled the jacks and re-reviewed the plans. These jacks come with a black plastic isolator and a beige ceramic isolator and a similar one appears to be on the jack.

I reset the jacks in place with the black one on the face of the jack against the seat pan and the ceramic one on the top of the seat pan and then the washer compressing them together. (I had both the black one and the ceramic one on top initially)

That sort of works until you press the mic jack all the way in and then it stops working. So I checked for more grounding issues. Nothing found.

I set the Zulu dips to Stereo, the Mike Bias to ON.

I turned on the intercom 3d and other settings to ON in the GTR-200 setup and all the intercom features appear to be working fine. Both sides and both speakers in the headsets are working, the intercom on both sides appears to be working and the PTT on both sticks appear to be correct and TX and RX to the proper sides to/from an external icom tx.

Haven't checked it with a iPod yet, but I am assuming that the intercom in the GTR is stereo and that was causing part of the problem.

More details if I find them.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. Looks like I needed all of them!

One of those washers should have had a 'rib' on it, which fits into the hole, covering the edge of the hole, and keeps the jack from moving sideways and contacting the metal edge of the hole. Obviously it must be oriented with the rib inside the hole.

One of those washers should have had a 'rib' on it, which fits into the hole, covering the edge of the hole, and keeps the jack from moving sideways and contacting the metal edge of the hole. Obviously it must be oriented with the rib inside the hole.

Yep, done, correctly now,and they want the ridge filed a little as well. What fooled me is that the metal washers had little ridges and also there was a ceramic washer on the jacks.

I had the continuity check highlighted and flagged as to do....had I done that I think I would still be scratching my head over the DIP switches as well, although I think the revised ch 5 has some info in there on that as well.

Hopefully this thread might help other builders down the road.

Back