What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Possible flight testing of wing spars preinstallation

Vansrv7arob

Well Known Member
Aparently my wing spar crate has been sent by sea to south Africa by mistake, it is possible that the shipping company will pull there finger out and reroute to sydney via air once they arrive otherwise they will be 30-40 days behind he other crate.

Upside is I may have some of my critical part flight tested for free, downside is i'll need to reorganise my build plan.

Has anyone had a similar problem and can suggest a modified build plan for standard wing kit considering I'll only have parts in the short fat crate to start with?

Does this crate contain all the components to finish flaps or ailerons while I wait to start on wing spars?

Going only from memory if it's just the spar crate that's gone AWOL, I think you still will have plenty to do with the fat crate, depending -- of course -- on how long it takes to redirect the spar crate.

wingspars.jpg

For one thing, you can undertake the unquestioned most boring part of building an RV -- deburring wing ribs. You could start on the ailerons and flaps and rivet stiffeners and all that. You can start planning your wiring runs and locate the holes in the ribs, install the nutplates for the inspection panels on the wing skin (of course you won't be able to do the nutplates yet on the spar), work on your lighting in the wing tips, fit the lens etc.

It's not an ideal situation, but you're not out of the building business because of the delay either.

You can also, if you haven't already, work on fiberglass tips for your emp.

Last edited:
What's in the spar crate?

Thanks Bob your right plenty to do, I was planning on knocking over the rib prep first so I can start there, I guess fuel tanks could also be started after ailerons and flaps.

Does anyone know what else is in the spar crate besides the wing spars?

I'm not sure with the 7 but my 9 had the spars for ailerons and flaps in the spar box. There is plenty of work in the leading edge and fuel tanks to keep you busy for weeks. Where are you in Sydney, I'm out at Mudgee.

Rob,
In the Spar box you also have some long angle aluminum for the Fuselage which they send you. I also had the center spar in the box. but ended up sending it back because I ordered a QB fuselage after doing the slow build on the wings.
Smilin' Jack

What's in the box today?

Thanks Jack and Pete,
Pete I'm in Artarmon

For those that follow attached picture items highlighted in blue + all skins are in crate number two (the fat one).

Vansrv7arob

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s470/Vansrv7arob/6155e181.jpg

No spars no stiffners, no tools oh well.

I'll be preparing ribs till further notice, oh wait, the 1" and 2" scotch bright wheels I bought specifically to debur lightning hole is in the other crate....

Might rename the plane rubber wings ha ha.. Plenty to do..

For the K + N customer in South Africa, please point them south east when they arrive ;).

Last edited:
I'll post the plans...

The funnel went in a wind tunnel to make sure it wouldn't stall at high flow rates, you can't see from the picture however all surfaces exposed to corrosion were alodined and primed with two part epoxy primer using the Dan Checkoway method.

I've found a 45 degree induction using the swirl method provides greatest flow rates with minimal spillage.

Last edited:
Back