What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Positioning aileron stops - RV-8

chris mitchell

Well Known Member
Patron
Please could someone walk me throough this step? I've made the stops, got the ailerons in place and have just spent an hour fiddling, trying to get the stops into the right place, to no avail. I'm obviously doing something very silly.

Before anyone suggests it, no, I cannot use the delrin washer method, as the inspector will not approve it (I'm in the UK - much more restrictive).

Is there any way to measure and lay out the stop location on the aileron bracket with the aileron off? A big part of the problem is access. If I had a long enough, thin enough, clamp I'd be part of the way there..... I think.

One suggestion has been to rivet it roughly in place and then grind the stop to give the required range of movement - but I don't think I can get the stop in place accurately enough even for that approach.

Thanks

Chris

Chris
I've put my stops on the outboard aileron bracket on the last 4 planes.
Much easier access.

Don't know if you've already tried this, but if you remove the flaps, it's much easier to get to the inner aileron bracket for fitting of the stop. By doing it this way you can drill the bracket first, then back drill into the stop.

Chris,

Remove the Flap, it does make it much easier.
Also, do a search for a thread on this. There's a guy who posted pictures of how he did it. I used it and it came out great.

In a nutshell, he fabricated a few extra pieces.
1. Make a temporary piece of angle 3/4 X 3/4 X 062 will do. (this piece will be temp glued to the flap side of the hinge bracket)
2. Make a longer/larger piece of angle large enough with a cutout so it could slide over the top of the aileron bracket and hang over both sides.
3. Temporarily super glue the 3/4 angle to hinge bracket on the flap side once the desired aileron limit is reached. (butt it to the powder coated aileron bracket once the aileron is in the desired limit position and glue to the hinge bracket.)
4. Then after it's bonded, remove the aileron and butt the actual stop to the aileron side of the angle and drill.

A little hard to picture without pictures, see if you can find the thread online as these pictures I have are not as explanitory and a bit blurred.

In this picture I have already glued the angle to the flap side and removed the aileron. I'm now clamping the U-shaped angle to it.
aileronstop_1.jpg

This picture shows me matching up the actuall permanent stop to the aileron side for drilling.
aileronstop_2.jpg

Last edited:
Delrin Aileron Stop

Hi Chris

Shame we are not consistent in the UK - my Inspector is happy with the Delrin Stop and I made him a set for his 7 on his lathe.

Bob Ellis
www.rv-8.co.uk

Back