What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Portable Compressor for Hanger - recommendations?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
As I start thinking about moving my fuselage to it's hanger, I've been wondering what to do for compressor.

Any suggestions on a good small compressor? I know I don't want an oil-free one and since it will just be for finish up work and maybe a little painting I don't want something too big (or expensive).

AT my hangar, I have a single 115 v outlet. I am thinking anything more than 7 - 10 amps will trip the breaker and the breaker will be in another person's hangar. The Granger deal draws 15 amps at that voltage. I willprobably go with a small compressor from Lowes.
I WILL NOT buy another oilless. Way too noisey. (I have a 6 hp from sears now)

Plug it in before you buy

Be careful what you buy. I had the old noisy Craftsman oil-less (very noisy). I gave it away when I moved. Went to Harbor Freight and bought an oil bath compressor (still very noisy). I am assuming the mistake I made is that it is still a direct drive (no pulleys) but won't buy another compressor without plugging it in first.

I was just at Costco last night. My mandatory perusal of the 'tool' aisle saw a small, 8 gallon, oil lubed Campbell-Hausfield compressor for $169. It also came with a bunch of hand tools and a couple of air tools. I think it stated 3.2HP, 110volts. Could not find an amperage rating on the box. No recommendation, just a note.

Back