What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Poor radio/intercom reception

meadeduck

Well Known Member
Lately, we've been noticing poor radio reception when we have the intercom 'squelched' down to the point where we can actually hear each other talk. When we're at that point, we can barely make out other aircraft; when we turn the squelch to the point where we can NOT hear EACH OTHER, we get great reception from other radios. What's the problem??
Meade and George
N612RV:confused:

Got The Same Problem

I am guessing right now but I think its the intercom. Some type of feed back through the head sets when keying the push to talk. Does this on both sides.We have used all kinds of headsets in many different combinations. Working on it........
Mark
N712RV

Actually guys, it doesn't sound like the same problem to me. Meade and George describe their problem as a reception problem, while Mark's seems to manifest itself during PTT (transmit) operations.

Meade and George - remember there are 4 different volume/squelch levels involved here, without even going into the little pots on the back of the circuit board. They are: Intercom Volume, Intercom Squelch, Com Radio Volume, and Com Radio Sidetone. Oh yes, and you probably have volume knobs on your headsets as well.

Adjust your controls in the following sequence:

Headsets full up.
Intercom volume about 1/2
Intercom squelch so you just break squelch with mikes at lips
Intercom volume to comforatable level
Radio volume to comfortable level listening to a signal (ASOS, Tower, handheld)
Radio sidetone to comfortable level when transmitting

Try above and see if it helps.

Mark - Can you provide more info? Did it ever work correctly, or is this intial testing? If problem is only during transmit, have you adjusted your sidetone?

SL40 adjustments

Meade, I just went through an issue with my intercom and sl40 radio. Read up on the software changes you can make with the sl40 radio (I'm assuming you have a SL40). I found that working with those adjustments remove all issues I had with the radio reception (too weak) and the Intercom (sidetone). A couple of simple adjustments and all is well!

SL40 Issues

I saw the related issue and we're going to try your suggestion as soon as we both can get up the airport. Thanksabunch.
Meade

Static Problem Fixed

I am guessing right now but I think its the intercom. Some type of feed back through the head sets when keying the push to talk. Does this on both sides.We have used all kinds of headsets in many different combinations. Working on it........
Mark
N712RV

Follow BigJohn's "Adjust your controls in the following sequence" in his post. Then go into the internal adjustments of the SL40 radio and adjust the Sidetone so you get the best results for your headset or combination of head sets. Directions are in the Pilots manual for how to get to the internal settings.Factory setting was set to 220. After several attempts adjusted the sidetone to 30. Radio and intercom work great and sound great.
Mark
N712RV
Builder #120545

Last edited:
Back