What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

POLL: Interested in COLORED SMOKE?

Are you interested in COLORED SMOKE in your smoke system??

• No, I am not interested in colored smoke

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Yes I am, but at no added price premium over white smoke oil

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Yes I am and would pay a 50% premium over white smoke oil

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Yes I am and would pay a 100% premium over white smoke oil

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MS19087

Well Known Member
COLORED SMOKE: I know this was brought up over the years, but I continue to toy with this project and have done a fair amount of research and investigation. I think colored smoke would be a fun option for lots of RV related events.

Presently, only a few not so desirable options exist. One is to put a cryo-type device on the wing tip and activate them remotely for one-time use. These are expensive and require aircraft mods.

Another option I have researched is provided by a US based company but is really only viable for jets (requires pumping atomized colored oil at the engine nozzle). This product has 2 significant drawbacks - the colored oil can/will stain the paint and the dye used is toxic and would be problematic if it entered the cockpit. The jet retrofit avoids these two issues due to the fact that the oil is injected in the rear of the aircraft at the engine nozzle.

Our high EGT temp ranges (1400*F) also present a problem for dyed oil - the dyes burn off at these temps and result is essentially white smoke.

I am working with a DuPont PhD (and dye expert) to test a different mineral oil based solution that addresses the issues identified above (staining, toxicity, maintaining vibrant colors). I am considering 4 colors at this time - RED, BLUE, YELLOW, PINK. Intention would be to use this product on existing installed smoke systems, but allow for colored smoke options.

So my POLL is to gauge interest in such a product as well as the cost threshold.

Oh, if anyone ever figures this out, I'm definitely in! Good luck, though, as this has been a desirement by tons of people for what seems like ages, with no solution in place (that I know of).

But I hope you can figure something out! Would be awesome!

I know of an Extra 300 thats grounded right now due to issues stemming from blue colorant in the smoke oil causing corrosion. Only took one flight. Another gender reveal bright idea.

I know of an Extra 300 thats grounded right now due to issues stemming from blue colorant in the smoke oil causing corrosion. Only took one flight. Another gender reveal bright idea.

Honestly, anybody *that* self-centered deserves the consequences, IMO. LOL!

Corrosion properties being addressed

The product requirements will surely include this possible issue.

Mark,

Great project. In fact, if you figure it out, please take your company public...I would invest in your stock, and I think you will find the venture to be very profitable!

FWIW, my opinion on this is based on having worked with the pyro canisters for pink, red and blue smoke, and with one failed experiment with dyed smoke (which I think will have good info for you in this quest).

The canisters worked well, but as you noted, it requires making and mounting brackets, and adding an ignition circuit. On the 49 ship KC Chiefs stadium flyover in 2013 we did have one canister on one wing fire and discharge improperly. I won't say exploded, per se, but it did look like a cartoon cigar, and it made a pink mess on the wingtip of that plane (no damage). The only source for them was difficult to get delivery from, and they were expensive ($75 per canister, or $150 for two...for 2 mins of smoke...at our volume discount:eek:). He has since gone out of business (something about improper initiators on the ATF watch list...I had to turn in all that our group had to the ATF...but I digress...).

The dyed smoke oil experiment was with leftover colored oil from the Reno Races that I was given (the Patriots used it in their L39s that year). I tried one tank-full...the seals in my pump swelled up and the pump failed in the first minute of use...and the smoke was white, as you alluded to in your post. Just an FYI for your experiments.

I do feel that performers will line up for colored smoke oil that works. 4th of July, Veterans Day, patriotic performances, football team colors...I think that market could be large.

Best of luck, and I hope you are successful!

Cheers,
Bob

Colored Smoke

I too have tried several ways to produce colored smoke thru our typical RV smoke systems… all to no avail! I have just spotted this post, is there any progress on your part? It would be a highly desirable airshow product.

Homie

Still working the issue

I have a chemical engineer assisting. Hasn’t been a priority recently, hopefully back at it this winter.

Jessica Cox would be very interested in adding disability blue and or international disability purple smoke to her RV-10. Please keep us updated!

Back