What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Poll: How did you rivet your Flap Hinge?

How did you rivet your flap hinge?

• As per the manual - Dimple skin, CS Flap Brace, Drill Hinge

Votes: 38 80.9%
  • Dimple Skin, Dimple Flap Brace, Dimple Hinge

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Dimple Skin, Dimple Flap Brace, CS Hinge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dimple Skin, Dimple Flap Brace, CS Hinge, Re-enforce w/ backing plate

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChrisL

As I have made my first mistake on the wings (dimpling the wing skin and the flap brace), I was wondering how this came out for everyone else. Please post your response on the poll. I am giving Van's a call this morning.

I'm guessing Van's will tell you to CS the hinge and move on but Jay's got a lot more experience so I'll be waiting to hear what they say. The hinge is awfully thick to not tolerate the removal of the CS'd material??

Do tell....

Just spoke with Ken at Vans - he said not to order a new flap brace and that countless 6's and a fair amount of 7's are all flying with the dimpled hinge. He said the best way to dimple the hinge was to do it while the hinge is attached to the flap or another spare piece of identical hinge. This is so that it won't deform during the dimpling process. Also, a .5 longer rivet should be used to produce a sufficient shop head over top of the dimple.

Looks like i'll give that a try - definately keep the poll going as I am interested in how other folks did it.

Thanks,
Chris

****! I counter sunk my hinge, and to make things worse both my skins are riveted. Which makes replacing the flap brace a major pain in the rear. Any Ideas guys.

One of each!

After realizing I'd done the first wing by dimpling everything I got it right for the second. Both ways worked out fine.

Peter :eek:

I forgot to to tell you, I woke up last night in a cold sweat with the thought of loosing my RH flap on short final. Id have to think you'd be in the dirt before you could retract the LH.

Someone had suggested reenforcing the hinge with some .032 sheet along the back, but I am not sure if you are going to do more harm in drilling out all those holes... You are probably fine, but you might want to call vans.

Chris

On Dan C.'s site I came across that he had used a .025 backing strip and had c'sunk the hinge. I did not want to dimple my hinge so I c'sunk and used a backing strip of .025 as well. This is never going anywhere!

Steve

Just about to attach wings.

Back