What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

polishing

marksrv8

I'm New Here
I am going to polish my finished project, is it nessasary to remove the thin aliclad layer first. any tips apriciated.

marksrv8 said:
I am going to polish my finished project, is it nessasary to remove the thin aliclad layer first. any tips apriciated.

Hopefully you don't live near the coast. If you do, you might find yourself re-polishing every other week, or possibly more.

There are not many polished aircraft here on the Texas gulf coast. The salt air, even 30-50 miles inland is just way too harsh. Most P-51s and other military aircraft that were bare metal in their previous life and now live on the coast are painted silver.

Just something to think about...

Karl

Go to www.perfectpolish.com. They (and the Swift guys) are the experts. There's some mention there about "new" aluminum and what's required to get a good shine. You will have to beat it up pretty good initially if you want the deep chrome look. I have owned 2 polished planes and found that the newer polishes like Nuvite make it way easier. Still, it's a constant battle of the atmosphere vs. your shiny aluminum. Painted leading edges will help some; at least every bug won't create a polishing mess.

I have just started the process of polishing my -8 before initial rollout. My current plans are to go ahead and put a 20' polish job on her and paint the trim pieces for the first year or so and then give her the dream paint job once the bank account builds back up. I live near the coast, so life with a polished plane is not likely to be a good experience...
I have purchased the Nuvite and am using a $50 buffer from Northern Tools. I purchased some good wool buffer bonnets which are holding up very well compared to the cheap poly that you find in the discount stores. I wrap an inexpensive auto compound/buffer in a microfiber cloth for the 2nd and 3rd pass with progressively finer grades of Nuvite. It is filthy work, but very rewarding. The bonnets and micro fiber cloth can be tossed into the washing machine whenever your wife is out shopping...
Don

Back