What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Polishing Steel

ryanjorr

I'm New Here
I just picked up a large sheet of steel (2' x 4' x 1/4") from the metal yard and would like to know the best/cheapest/easiest way to polish it for use as a back-riveting plate. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan
RV-7
N930SM
Empenage almost finished

I just picked up a large sheet of steel (2' x 4' x 1/4") from the metal yard and would like to know the best/cheapest/easiest way to polish it for use as a back-riveting plate. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan
RV-7
N930SM
Empenage almost finished

man... that's one HUGE back rivet plate! :eek:

Scotchbrite

If it is pretty flat and not corroded....

Try red scotchbrite in an orbital sander.

Shined mine 10 years ago

I took a hand grinder with a 60 grit paper disk. Got the finish I wanted, then applied oil to discourage rust.
It has been shining every since.

Randy Hooper

Polish

After you polish a while, you're probably gonna want to cut that sucker down to about a quarter of the original size!!!!!!!!!!

The 60 grit sounds about right. You can Scotchbrite after that for a good polish.

Are you Sam's son???????????

It's very flat and not corroded...I'll try the 60 grit...and scotchbrite. Thanks for the tips!

And nope, not Sam's son...don't even know Sam, but thanks for asking!

i did the 60 on a side grinder and then 80 on a DA sander. oiled as prescribed. mine is 1/2 by8x18 and a 4x4 angle bolted to the side of the table. which is made from 4 inch channel

Scotch bright and an orbital sander, as has already been mentioned, if the surface is any where near flat. I used the top of my Delta Unisaw to rivet part of my rudder on. Didn't harm the top of the saw at all and worked like a charm.

I used 80 grit and a belt sander to get mine down, but my piece was heavily scaled. My plate is 1/2" x 4" x 75" and is routed into the table. Worked great.

n12804481_33318901_5902.jpg

Back