What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Poked a hole

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
I poked a little hole in the HS skin while dimpling. What's the best way to fix it, thickened epoxy?

Everybody has done it. OK, not everybody, but you're in good company. I have a 3/16" flush rivet in one of my fuel tanks because of a mistake like that.

Depending on how close it is to other holes, you can simply drill it out to a nice round hole, then countersink it or dimple it and set a rivet in the hole.

Epoxy would be OK too (as would something like JB weld), but you still need to clean up the hole.

Do a search on the site for "Extra dimple" or other likely phrases. You'll get some ideas.

I poked a little hole in the HS skin while dimpling. What's the best way to fix it, thickened epoxy?

NO... Now you have to order new empennage :D I heard that only THREE extra holes are allowed during airframe build - one on emp, one on wings and one on the fuse and you already wasted one. Anyway welcome to EXTRA HOLE CLUB Tom you are not alone. Leave it for now, do not show anybody it will eventually get fixed down the road.

Whew! You mean I have 2 more left?

Joined the club after a year of building :eek:

It is up to you, how to fix it.

Remember, it is not the mistake you make but how you fix it that counts.

In my case, I punched a hole right next to where it should have gone and bought another skin. They don't cost that much and I've used the "damaged" skin to make other parts.

Fortunately

It's about half an inch from the hole where it's supposed to be. I flattened, will deburr and fill in after reviting. Will never know... Shhhhhhhhhh

Back