What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

pneumatic squeezer

jacksel

Well Known Member
My son broke my hand rivet squeezer yesterday while trying to muscle that last mill out of a #4 rivet. I've been thinking for a long time about a pneumatic squeezer and now I'm thinking about making the move. Problem is I've never used one, don't know anyone who has and frankly don't really know how to begin shopping for one. All I really know is they sound pretty good. Especially for one who is really tired of hand-squeezing those larger rivets. I've noticed Avery has 2 different types; a regular and an "alligator". The alligator looks like it can get into tighter spaces. I'm just getting started on an RV-7 QB. Anyone have any recommendations?

Just my opinion, but get the non-alligator model.
Mortgage the house, sell the vehicle, whatever it takes: THE best money you've ever spent. Period.

I've used pneumatic squeezers that have adjustable threaded rams and those that have not. Have is way better than have not. I'd ask about that. Constantly juggling a half dozen dies of different thickness to get the right combination is one way to waste an awful lot of time.

Either way, get the pneumatic. You'll never look back.

Free advice is worth the price.

squeezer

Yup, go with the 'C" pneumatic sqeezer, and pick up an adjustable rivet set as well. I use an air foot pedal
and a squeezer bench bracket when required You can put two hands on your smaller parts while riveting.

Totally agree! My C-squeezer was actually the very first tool I bought, way back when. They rarely go on sale, which is why I sprung for one when they were on sale. It is, and has been, my favorite tool of all. I never even bought a hand squeezer. Best money spent, by far. I also agree, spend the money for an adjustable ram.

You'll not only use it for riveting, but also for a lot of dimpling of ribs, etc. I can't imagine doing all of that by hand.

If money is an issue, and since you're building a quick-build, you don't need a brand new one. A good used one will certainly get you through a quickbuild kit. I'm building a standard kit, but I still bought a lot of my tools on eBay. You can get some great bargains there if you watch. And if you don't like what you get, or want to dump it when you're done, you can very likely get most or all of your money back by selling it right back on eBay.

Another consideration is that there are a lot of different yokes to choose from.
The one I use the most is called a longeron yoke, but I also have a "no hole" yoke for tight spots, a 4" yoke for the long stretches, and a C yoke for everyday rivets.
Unfortunatley, these yokes are expensive, but sometimes Avery has them on sale.

I use the 4" yoke almost all the time, with the longeron yoke next.

Avery will overhaul a used unit if that's needed. You'll still save a bit of money.

The adjustable thing is a must-have.

I sometimes clamp the yoke in the vice to free up both hands.

Dave

Alligator ... chomp!

I have an alligator squeezer that I picked up on ebay for $200 .. a 214A type. It's a great tool and really was worth the money.

As others point out, though, you have to change the dies for different rivet lengths. A bit of a hassle, but with some early trial and error I put together a table that tells me how to load it for the size and type of rivet. The dies come in 1/16" increments and I find need to put a thin washer underneath one die to get the right size set.

The c-squeezer likely would be more versatile with the various interchangeable yokes. In any case get one; almost as useful as your drill!

Back