What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pneumatic Riveter Maintenance

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Although many advised against the need, my tool deal came with a Sioux pneumatic rivet squeezer. With my aged arthritic hands, it has been a valuable asset to me in building.
Problem is the darned thing quit! Just stopped squeezine rivets, the plunger would extend, but no force. I had no book so Googled for help, and sure enough VAF Forums threads came up. Many said to just send it to the factory, but it was almost new. Finally someone said they poured a little laquer thinner down the intake, cycled it a time or two, then oiled it well. I tried it, and it worked like a charm. Something gets gooey and makes it stop working I guess. I am a happy camper again.

I don't know specifically about the Sioux, other than the company that makes ours makes parts for the Sioux. Ours has a leather piston inside that is saturated with lubriplate grease. The lubriplate is what makes the piston air tight. This is why oiling the tool causes it to fail, the oil will thin the grease to the point that it is not effective. I would only guess that lacquer thinner would harden the piston and cause problems down the road. If the squeezer is not very old I would suggest pursuing warranty repair.

It has not had much use but is far out of warranty, another guy bought it, started an RV 12 and decided to quit, sold the 12 parts, then sold his tool kit to me. Hmm, wonder if I could squeeze some lubriplate down the air intake hole and re-lube the piston leather? Should be worth a try anyway.
Of course I don't know how it was treated before I got it either.
So far so good, the laquer thinner flush and oil application has it working like new again. I sure love it.

Hey Don - there is also the possibility that there is nothing wrong with it. You send in your OP that it extended, but developed no force. You can find numerous threads on that topic - the squeezer develops maximum force in only one part of it's stroke, so you can get it out of adjustment (depending on rivet and die length) where you are trying to make it squeeze in the wrong part of the stroke. Something to check, anyway...

Paul

Avery Tool for Pneumantic Squeezer Service

If you find you need it serviced, Avery Tools near Ft. Worth can do it. Good folks, good service. That could be close to you, but based on the size of Texas it could be a 2 day drive!

I had become aware of that factor in its operation, and had learned to work within those limits. Pretty small part of the stroke when it kicks into overdrive.

Hey Don - there is also the possibility that there is nothing wrong with it. You send in your OP that it extended, but developed no force. You can find numerous threads on that topic - the squeezer develops maximum force in only one part of it's stroke, so you can get it out of adjustment (depending on rivet and die length) where you are trying to make it squeeze in the wrong part of the stroke. Something to check, anyway...

Paul

Back