What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pneumatic Rivet Squeezer not Squeezing

Bobby1226

I just received a new pneumatic squeezer from Avery and I cannot adjust it to squeeze. I installed an adjustable set holder and tried adjusting the travel lenght for 1/2 hour, turning the holder with movements of less then the require 1/16" lenghts. Tried air pressure from 90-120 psi. Any suggestions? thanks in advance

Bobby,

Does the squeezer actuate at all, just not squeeze properly, or does it not even actuate? If the latter, then perhaps you have a blocked line somewhere. It is possible (unlikely) that the squeezer is just bad. If the rivets are too long for the adjusted length, most squeezers will not have enough leverage to squeeze them and will just stop. If this might be the case, then adjust the squeezer to just a bit shorter than a test rivet, and try that setting. With a little practice, you will easily figure out when rivets are simply too long for the travel of the squeezer. If it's none of these issues, then the only other thing I can think of is a locked safety or something.

Maybe someone else will have other ideas.

greg

Have you read the instructions? The squeezer only "works" in the very last part of the stroke. Adjust the ram so that it just touches or holds the rivet when the trigger is pulled and the ram is fully extended. Relax the trigger and screw the ram out 1/16 of an inch and try it.

Never let the ram and the fixed yoke touch under pressure.

Last edited:
is it the lever?

When I first started using one, I didn't fully understand that the activation lever had to go up, then push. For people that pick it up the first time, then don't just figure it out. They can't get the handle to squeeze. Just a thought.

:eek:

Mine is all funky as well... I need to adjust it 3 times through a set process to get the rivet perfect on a -4. I think it may be air volume vs air pressure as I stepped down to one of the Avery soda hoses before the squeezer.

If it is adjusted perfectly it will not squeeze, back the set off and it works great, then readjust to finish the rivet. I bought mine new from Isham/planet tools.

Still no joy. I've adjusted the die from not touching the rivet when fully extended to touching the rivet in 64th increments and it still doesn't squeeze.

Yep all is assembled correctly, however I think I may have found my problem. Air pressure. The gauge on the tank showed 90 psi but I measured it at the squeezer and it only had 60. I had to increase the pressure at the tank gauge to 120 to get the 90 and it looks like its squeezing

one to remember, check the pressure at the squeezer

Yep all is assembled correctly, however I think I may have found my problem. Air pressure. The gauge on the tank showed 90 psi but I measured it at the squeezer and it only had 60. I had to increase the pressure at the tank gauge to 120 to get the 90 and it looks like its squeezing

one to remember, check the pressure at the squeezer

Hopefully this solved your problem. My advice is that since you bought this from Avery, give Bob a call. He is always helpful with assisting new folks in how to use his tools.

He's also great with squeezer repairs too, if you ever need that. He repaired mine (I dropped it on the garage floor) the day before he left for SnF. He didn't charge for his services. You can't ask for getter service than you get from Avery.

Back