What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pneumatic Compressor

JOEPILOT

I'm setting up my garage for the build. I need some input on compressors for drilling and riveting. I don't have 220 Volts or the room for a large 80 gallon compressor in my shop. Has any one had luck with smaller 110 Volt models? Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
A 120V compressor will work just fine and has been used to build many an RV. Some quick recommendations:

- 20 gallon
- Twin cylinder
- Oil lubricated

Try searching on the subject. There are a lot of past threads with good advice regarding size, type, etc.

You say you don't have 220 volts in the room, but just to make sure, is it impossible to accomplish that? Maybe an electrician can run 220 to the room without too much difficulty?

This one has worked just fine for me.
608291067_X48Mj-M.jpg

You don't need some huge, heavy duty compressor to build an RV. The only time this thing runs on and on is if I use the die grinder, or try to countersink lots and lots of holes in a row. Hearing protection is necessary (it's loud).

I've built mine so far with a 30 gallon oil lubed 110 volt compressor (tail, wings, and half of the fuse). If I use the angle grinder constantly the compressor runs continuously. But, for riveting and 95% of what I do I would buy the exact same compressor again. Can't beat it for the price 150 bucks and craigslist.

I have the same one Bruce shows in his photo. I picked it up for a song at a pawn shop. It handles everything I've needed so far. It is loud when it runs but thats not an issue for me.

Air compressor

In the long run I think you would prefer a two stage, 60 gallon upright as they are quieter, will run anything, and properly maitained basicly live forever, however a 30 gallon wheeled upright from Sears, Lowes, Home Depot etc will do what you need. Pluses for the 30 gallon upright are 110v, small footprint (nice if shop space is limited) reasonable cost, and portability. Downside is noise, limited airflow for big users e.g. DA sanders ect, and limited life (8-10 yrs) with regular heavy use (should get you through your build no trouble). Good luck, Russ

You can build the tail with a 3 gallon $35 Harbor Freight pancake compressor....or probably the rest of it too, as it runs a rivet gun and squeezer just fine.

That said, I'll have 220v in the garage later this year, and a nice OILED compressor. The oiled/quite(r) part if about the most important part for me... (Plus for sprayer primer/paint, the little thing won't do that, or much else. Or a cleco gun, etc.)

Pancake for me too...

Used one to build the tail, wings and fuse so far without any issues. Also used it for the nailer that I used to enclose the bottom 'floor' of the house prior to starting on the airplane project. Didn't have 220, still don't. You'll be just fine for quite a while with something smaller, although you will run it to capacity with a long drill series or grinder. Wait times for me are just times to look at the plans to make sure what I'm about to do is what I want to actually do! That being said, I haven't started all the canopy grinding or fiberglass work yet so YMMV.

I bought a used 20gal oiled compressor for $50. Works great on 110v. It's reasonably quiet, cycles fast and keeps up with my air drill. It's just a single cylinder, but seems to work just fine.

Back