What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PMag Tach signal erratic

AltonD

Well Known Member
New installation.
All is normal with RPM till I apply take-off power. I get >3000 RPM. Engine is definitely behaving normally as before the PMag install. After reaching cruise, the indication settles down with an occasional blip while actual engine rpm remains unchanged.
I am reading the signal through a AFS-5500 unit. Double checked the wiring and pin-outs. All good.
initial wiring, I ran two #20 wires to the AFS unit, signal and ground. Second attempt, I ran a shielded wire to the AFS unit. No difference. Tomorrow, I am going to swap to the right PMag to see if the issues follows.

Anybody else dealt with this issue? I will put a call into EMagAir tomorrow morning.

I did a long time ago and it was the ground.

I cut off the "ring terminal" and crimped on a new one.

Seems the crimp on the original wasn't as good as it should have been.

I had my rpm wondering up and down on a 3500. Both companies pointed finger at the other one, but in the end it was a problem with my AFS 3500, which they said they hadn't seen before.

Could be Ric. I was having, occasionally, the same problem with the sensor that was on my Slick. I am going to double check my grounds and swap to the other PMag and see if the problem follows. That should surely tell the tale.

Yes, I get that too. I run a P-mag on the left & a Bendix 200 on the right.
I have a Flight Data Systems electronic tachometer
http://www.fdatasystems.com/t-30-tachometer/
After flying a while, it settles down and reads right.
I'm saving up to get an EMS so I've been putting up with it...I have a few inches of un-shielded wire from the "mag' switches to the T-30. I should recheck the ground of the shields and reconsider the filter resistors.

Back