What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pmag/emag with a gi275 eis

flyboyeaa

I'm New Here
I have just installed a gi275 with two emags. The tach is not working. I have the mag tach signal wired into pins 6 and 8 in connector j243.

Has anyone had this problem?

I assume you are using the GEA 24 EIS module?

Did you include the 820K ohm resistor that is normally used with a standard mag?

Carl

I assume you are using the GEA 24 EIS module?

Did you include the 820K ohm resistor that is normally used with a standard mag?

Carl
No I didn't. I will try it. The g3x manual just has you wire the pmag directly to those pins since the pmag s already outputting a 12v square wave off the tach pin. I did just try putting the diode into the pmag to drop it to 5v square wave with no luck.

In the GI275 look again at the set up pages - there are many of them. You must specify what signal is being received.
I can't remember exactly what the settings are. Do you have the latest software loaded - v 3.10 I believe?

And dial out a few degrees of timing on the PMAGS, that's not your problem but just some sound advice

In the GI275 look again at the set up pages - there are many of them. You must specify what signal is being received.
I can't remember exactly what the settings are. Do you have the latest software loaded - v 3.10 I believe?
My current software is 2.72 I believe. The only options are p lead pickup with 1 or two leads, and the uma magnetic pickups. Uma instruments says they can make me a tach drive sensor that would work like the magneto pickup. So I might go that route. Garmin said the only options that will work are the two mentioned above.

Are you sure you are refering to the gi275? Not the g3x?

GI275, I loaded v3.10 in one a couple of days ago.
There are many, many set-up pages as the screen is only small and its a very capable device.

Garmin have just release v3.20, it looks like your s/w is over a year old. As far as I'm aware there is only one s/w load for all GI275s. Get an update from whoever you bought the instrument from, it goes in via the USB socket. The tach line from the Pmags goes into GEA 24 P243 pins 6 & 8. Have you configured the GEA 24 in the Interfaces page? Have you told the sensors page that 2 mags are inputting (see section 5.7.2). System Info -> Devices Online (green check), EIS -> Sensors. If you have selected P-Lead, try Mag Vent Pickup. The 275 is focussed on certified aircraft so experimental options are not always obvious. Set up is complex/tedious because of the small display.
I can't find s/w 2.72 on the download page, it went from 2.60 straight to 3.01 in August last year. What is the part no of your 275, for example 010-02325-00?

Garmin have just release v3.20, it looks like your s/w is over a year old. As far as I'm aware there is only one s/w load for all GI275s. Get an update from whoever you bought the instrument from, it goes in via the USB socket. The tach line from the Pmags goes into GEA 24 P243 pins 6 & 8. Have you configured the GEA 24 in the Interfaces page? Have you told the sensors page that 2 mags are inputting (see section 5.7.2). System Info -> Devices Online (green check), EIS -> Sensors. If you have selected P-Lead, try Mag Vent Pickup. The 275 is focussed on certified aircraft so experimental options are not always obvious. Set up is complex/tedious because of the small display.
I can't find s/w 2.72 on the download page, it went from 2.60 straight to 3.01 in August last year. What is the part no of your 275, for example 010-02325-00?

I misquoted the software version. It's 2.42. I have tried all the iterations of mag sensor, plead, ect in the setup menu. My unit is p/n 011-04489-00

Thanks for the responses

011-04489-00 is the correct p/n for the GI 275 unit for an EIS. I would get the software up to date and go from there. Your current software is significantly out of date. Go back to the Garmin dealer who supplied it. You should be given a USB stick with the new software loaded. The dealer will not pay for the download, a small charge may be made to provide the USB. The installation manual describes how to connect the USB socket and recommends a GSB 15, but any socket can be used at a push. You may have to update to 3.01 and then 3.20. I have never gone from 2.42 directly to 3.20.

Back