What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PMA 5000EX Iphone Input Cable Help

Cabbott14

I'm New Here
I am interested in using the cell phone input function on the PS engineering PMA 5000ex audio panel. Would anyone know which cable I need to buy to make this possible. PS Engineering only lists a P/N and wants $40+ and I know I can get it online for $5,if I know what is needed.
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Cam

Other avionics

Sorry, I should have been more specific. What radio are you hooking the PMA 5000 up to? I'm have an SL40 that I will hook up with it and was just looking for anyone that may have the same setup.

Cheers,

Don

Cable

Hi Cam, can you please confirm that this cable is working for your iPhone5 and the PMA5000EX?

I'm concerned that your mic on the headset will not connect. If the party on the end of the call says they can barely hear you, that's because the audio being picked up is from the mic on the phone.

If it doesn't work, we have literally reversed engineered the circuit in the iPhone and altered the 4 circuit connector which tells the iPhone to turn off the phone's mic and allow external mic audio to be used.

But if the cable works, we will spread the word on our web site, we are not in the biz to build patch cords! It was more of a service, I promise!

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

Don,
I purchased this cable off Amazon. I am hooking up an Iphone 5 to make calls when on the ground. You do in fact need a 4 conductor cable to be able to use the in/out of the phone.

http://www.amazon.com/YCS-Basics-fo...s+3+foot+2.5mm+male+to+3.5+female+4+conductor

Cheap and works great.
Cam

Sorry, I should have been more specific. What radio are you hooking the PMA 5000 up to? I'm have an SL40 that I will hook up with it and was just looking for anyone that may have the same setup.

Cheers,

Don

I have an SL40 and the PMA 5000EX. SteinAir did the wiring. I ordered a 'regular' 2.5male to 3.5 male cable and it did not work with the Iphone 5. Ordered a 4 conductor and it works great.
Volumes of G3X alerts, volume from radio comms and everything else seems 5/5.
Not sure if it had something to do with the volume through one of the different components, but I could not hear them and they could not hear me at all the settings we tried.
Hope this helps. I'm away from the plane for a while, but can have my it checked out further if needed.
Cam

Hi Cam, can you please confirm that this cable is working for your iPhone5 and the PMA5000EX?

I'm concerned that your mic on the headset will not connect. If the party on the end of the call says they can barely hear you, that's because the audio being picked up is from the mic on the phone.

If it doesn't work, we have literally reversed engineered the circuit in the iPhone and altered the 4 circuit connector which tells the iPhone to turn off the phone's mic and allow external mic audio to be used.

But if the cable works, we will spread the word on our web site, we are not in the biz to build patch cords! It was more of a service, I promise!

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

Mark,
Now to think of it, we only operated the phone and new cord on the ground briefly and they very well could have been hearing through the mic of the Iphone 5 and not the mic on the headsets.
I didn't even think to cover the Mic of the phone up or anything, it was just sitting on the dash.
I will look into it.
Cam

Back