What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PMA 450 Audio Panel Pirep

RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
Well, it's been several weeks since I swapped out my Garmin GMA 240 and installed PS Engineering's new PMA 450 so I thought I'd put out a PIREP and give you my thoughts.

First off, it was literally a plug-n-play. Out with the 240 and in with the 450. Everything worked on initial power up as advertised.

15235258428_4473a835b6_b.jpg

I took about 5 minutes to familiarize myself with the buttons and menus and off I went.

First off, I really like and use the new "IntelliAudio" feature. I'm used to listening to several things going on in the cockpit, but this feature makes it so much easier. I can have ATC above and in front on my left and the second com behind and to the right and my ear just naturally knows which one I'm wanting to listen to. I don't have to turn one up or down to differentiate which one I want to pay more attention to. This really helps when we are flying formation listening to the AirBoss and each other, or when in a busy IFR environment and I need to stay with ATC, but want to pick up the ATIS or talk on UNICOM. Much easier to keep aware of what's going on around me.

The Bluetooth feature works perfectly with my Samsung S4, my ipad and/or my wife's Samsung S3. The telephone portion is outstanding for picking up clearances, etc, while on the ground, and I'm sure it will work when low if you happen to hear your phone ring in your headset while flying along.. When the phone does ring, it sounds through the headset and flashes on the PMA panel to alert you the number that's calling. Simply push the button by the message and you're connected to your phone. Calls sound crisp and are just like listening to the comm's.

Also, the music sounds great and you can hook a couple different feeds up and hear music 1 or 2 on different headsets. Great Karaoke function that I use to sing away when I'm by myself. Slinky told me to knock it off... My only complaint, and it's a small one, is it's a couple button punches to change the music volume, or turn it off. Not a biggie, just a minor inconvenience.

I also like and use the playback function of the com's. Didn't think I would use it too much but it turns out you can double check controllers if you have a question and it's busy. Just play back the last transmission. It's one button push.

Another feature that I didn't think I would really use is the split transmit capability. I can talk on one radio and the back seater can talk on the second at the same time. Pretty nice to have the back seater be able to talk to another plane or FBO, etc. while I'm still talking to ATC.

Last, but not least is the USB charger built right into the front of the unit. I think it's 10 watts. It really is easy to plug in something if you need a quick pick me up..

The LED panel is easy to read in all lighting conditions I've flown in, including night. The menu's are super easy to work through. I've read the manual, but it just reinforced what I thought I already knew.

It's a great working and looking product.

15235301287_3cb4800a83_b.jpg

Let also say that I'm not in any way connected to PS Engineering other that a happy customer. The voice activated intercom is the usual outstanding PS Engineering quality. I'd be glad to talk to anyone about this product. Holler if you have any questions.

Last edited:
I played with it at Oshkosh and thought it was great! Only thing I didn't like was it cost almost twice as much as the radio I would use it with

PMA450

Dear Jerry, thank you for your write-up. Most of the time our customers install our panels and just appreciate the functionality and quality of the product. We always appreciate hearing positive (and maybe not so positive) feedback from our pilot fans!

The positive helps us to know we are on the right track, and the not so positive gives us the necessary data to know when to change a function or add something that might be missing.

In the 30 years (and counting) that we have been designing and building audio products for airplanes, the PMA450 is our finest panel.

There has never been a more tested or refined audio panel. We got an amazing review from Aviation Consumer last mont, so much so, I bought 1000 reprints! Belvoir has given me permission to place that review on our web site, so if you go to our home page, click on the PMA450 picture.

Thank you again for the kind words Jerry, I hope you will continue to appreciate the world's first soft-key user interface on an audio panel that makes easy access to all of the advanced capabilities without the need for a manual.

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering
www.ps-engineering.com

Back