What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plexi shim?

Tbone

Well Known Member
Finally able to install screws on the aft of my tip-up canopy and have "somehow" aquired a gap between the overhead structure and the plexi. Some as wide as .064. All on the lower areas. Must not have had the loop pushed out enough on the sides when drilling to the side structure. But every time I rivet the structure changes somewhere. I have searched the archives and have read somewhere that you could shim between but with what? I don't want to pull the plexi down to the bar! Any ideas?

Last edited:
I used microballoon all the way around after measuring the gaps at various points and all fits perfectly :D Rosie

I did think of all of those fixes. How did you apply your micro-mix to the structure, Rosie? I would like not to remove the canopy from the frame to do this. Naturally I will have to use longer screws. Would alum shims work as well?

From Rosie: As put to me by a repeat-offender: "You spend a lot of time looking up, and everytime you look up, you will forever see the shims you used, whether they be strips/shims, washers, etc.,... forever. I chose to scuff up the roll bar, lay on some micro, cure, sand, fit, add micro, cure, sand, fit... voila! No shims visible whatsoever and it looks great :) I did not have to use longer screws since my gaps were not large at all but I see no problem in doing so. Good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did think of all of those fixes. How did you apply your micro-mix to the structure, Rosie? I would like not to remove the canopy from the frame to do this. Naturally I will have to use longer screws. Would alum shims work as well?

I used both aluminum and UHMW shims on mine, depending on how thick of a shim I needed. No problems.

Shims

I used 1/2" nylon rod, cut the thickness required, and drilled a hole in the center to make a washer type shim. Hope that helps.

Back