What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plexi Glass question

shiney

Well Known Member
I've just finished my wing tip lenses and to mark the areas I needed to cut I used the sharpie pen. What substance/product do you recommend I use to remove the sharpie marks without damaging the plexi glass?

Martin

I can't help you on that one, I'd hate to suggest something that might melt it...but if you do more marking of those lenses, (which are not plexi by the way)...I'd use a wax pencil or crayon, which you can wipe clean without a solvent.

Thanks Bob, too late now, all marked and cut, just some marking edges that need to be cleaned up. Sorry about the word "plexi" it was just used as a generic term, I havn't got a clue what the thing is made of! :)

Martin

If they are indeed plexiglass

Many chemicals will work. However, if they are Lexan (polycarbonate) many chemicals will destroy them.
Lexan does not like chemicals like gasoline, lacquer thinner, acetone and many others.

shiney said:
I've just finished my wing tip lenses and to mark the areas I needed to cut I used the sharpie pen. What substance/product do you recommend I use to remove the sharpie marks without damaging the plexi glass?
I've had good luck removing gunk and sharpie marks from plexiglass using isopropyl alcohol and/or naphtha.

mcb

From Wikipedia...

Though Sharpie ink will become permanent after setting, it can be easily erased for several hours after writing on many glossy surfaces, most readily smooth metal and glass. Since the ink is based on propanol, butanol and diacetone alcohols, rubbing alcohol will remove permanent ink writing. Sharpie ink can generally be erased from CDs, microscope slides and plastic bottles within several hours. Sharpie ink that has dried for more than several hours can be removed with acetone, but due to the power of the solvent, acetone may damage the surface material. On some surfaces, the ink can be removed by coloring over the ink with a dry erase marker and then removing the Sharpie ink and dry erase marker ink with a dry cloth. Hairspray will also remove from smooth surfaces. Alcohol is particularly effective at removing the ink from skin.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I can't help myself...

John Clark said:
Alcohol is particularly effective at removing the ink from skin.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA
If you use enough alcohol you won't even notice that you have skin. :p

Kent

FYI, I thinkt his was just kicked around here a week or so ago. Anyway, go get one of those dry-ink erasers you use on whiteboards.

Cover the Sharpie marks you want to get rid of... wipe.

Gone.

I just read another post about this because I was working with my canopy and had the same question. Turns out that WD-40 is a great cleaner...and it's safe for plexi. At least that's what I read. After removing any sharpie marks (weeks old, not just hours) and glue from tape, etc, I used some standard glass-plus to remove the WD-40. So far, my canopy still looks like new.

Back