What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

plexi crack repair

dick seiders

Well Known Member
In the course of installing wings the canopy clearance with panel changed a hair and when I raised canopy a piece of plexi chipped out when it made contact with top of panel. A 1/2 in long crack ensued right in the center of canopy front coming up behind the fibreglas lip I installed per plans. My question for all of the plexi knowlegables out there: Where do I find a plexi repair kit? Better yet how do I make the repair which I dearly hope is doable. I have already drilled the required stop crack hloe. Thanks for any feedback.
Dick Seiders

Hey Dick

Can you post a good picture ? I covered up a 'problem' area, and it has worked very well.

John Bender

Stop drill alternative

1500 miles from home we got a crack 10 inches long right above our heads. The 1st thing the local glass & plexi shop told us; rather than drill the hole, make it with a red hot nail. Results in stress relief during and after. The hole will be much bigger than the nail (or wire) so 3/32 might be a good thickness. Later I used a patch kit from Aircraft Spruce. Practice on scrap. Our crack was lateral from the center tube on a 6A slider. Repair is still good 4 years later. Good luck!

Dick

Fiberglass resin mixed with some glass beads as I recall. Sanded it down, and painted it. I'm not sure I could find it now.

John Bender

plexi

Jokn, sorry about the no picture I always have trouble with that. I have repaired the crack using Polyflix supplied by A/C Spruce as suggested earlier. It looks good aside from my getting a trifle too much filler on, but seems to be a solid repair, and I will try to buff out the very small mark it left. If it holds up I will recommend it as it is easy to use, and total kit cost was about $40.
Dick Seiders

Back