What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Please critique my panel, version 2.0

John Courte

Well Known Member
Hi,

I've taken another shot at the panel, based on feedback from this thread, and some insights that can come only from sitting in the ship and making airplane noises while flying through imaginary scenarios.

panel_v3_small.jpg

This link will open full size

Cabin heat and purge valve cables will be mounted to the right of the quadrant, and I'm still deciding exactly where to put the whiskey compass. How well do panel-mount compasses fare amidst all the wiring?

Blog post for this update is here.

What do you all think?

My personal preference would be to have the 430 higher in the stack if I was flying IFR to minimizes the up and down head movement. You just want to look right with out having to move your head.

If you are just VFR, it's probably ok.

If that is a throttle quadrant below the transponder, I would move the radio stack to the right. With the levers forward, they will be in the way of the transponder.

There are no issues reaching or seeing the radios over there.

John,

I would also put the radio stack up as high as possible for visibility and lack of interference with the throttle. How high will partly depend on whether you are installing the canopy release. Switches can go anywhere.

Check to make sure that the ribs behind the panel will still fit with your configuration. Looks to me like there is no space between the radios and EFIS for a rib to attach. And you need support brackets for the radio stack that will probably take up a half-inch of width on each side.

Whats on the right side? If nothing, then you could also move the radio stack a bit to the right to avoid the throttle interference.

my two cents.

cheers,
greg

the position shown on the quadrant is in the WOT position and it's out from the panel by a good 3 inches, so there's no danger of bumping the radio buttons. the transponder is also clear of obstruction.

However, moving the whole stack upward is a good idea, then there will be room for annunciators or some future component below the transponder.

eventually the right side will have a second EFIS and comm radio there, so I'm trying to leave that area as blank as possible. Also missing from this drawing is the 12v power outlet.

the position shown on the quadrant is in the WOT position and it's out from the panel by a good 3 inches, so there's no danger of bumping the radio buttons. the transponder is also clear of obstruction.

However, moving the whole stack upward is a good idea, then there will be room for annunciators or some future component below the transponder.

The problem isn't the TQ levers bumping the radios but rather the limited room to get to those radio buttons with your hand w/o bumping the throttle levers.

Also, placing switches at the top of the panel doesn't work out all that well because you have to steady your hand to flip them. In bumpy air, this is a problem. Not to mention that your hand and arm just obscured your panel.

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone else suggested this before, but if you are already thinking that long-term you would like another Comm radio in your stack and given that you're already leaning towards the Odyssey, then I would be tempted to ditch the audio panel in favor of one of MGL's newer Comm units with the multi-channel stereo intercom built in.

When you factor in the savings in NOT buying noise canceling headsets (using the built in noise canceling from the MGL Intercom), the trade-out from audio panel plus noise canceling headsets to Comm Radio with noise canceling circuitry may actually SAVE you money while buying backup comm capability.

That's a win-win.

Back