What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Platte Valley Airpark 18V

Jimd

Well Known Member
Hi All,

We are attending a wedding this weekend at a resort east of Eagle, CO and planning to stop/tiedown at Platte Valley Airpark 18V. We are planning to arrive about noon on Friday.

Family members are flying commercial into Denver and are supposed to pick us up. (I wonder if we can find a rental car nearby if we need it?) Not set on 18V but it looks like the best fuel price around and easy to get into, and inexpensive for spending four nights tied down.

Anyone have local knowledge that might help me with planning?

Thanks,

Hi All,

We are attending a wedding this weekend at a resort east of Eagle, CO and planning to stop/tiedown at Platte Valley Airpark 18V. We are planning to arrive about noon on Friday.

Family members are flying commercial into Denver and are supposed to pick us up. (I wonder if we can find a rental car nearby if we need it?) Not set on 18V but it looks like the best fuel price around and easy to get into, and inexpensive for spending four nights tied down.

Thanks,

No one seems to be answering so I'll add my limited knowledge (I'm at KFNL). The 2 best fuel prices North of Denver are:

Platte Valley (18V) - Pretty much out in the country, narrow (25' ?) runway, access from Denver would be via I-76 to Hudson, then west to airpark, doubt that you will find rental car at airfield. Take time to visit the Vintage Aero Museum, http://www.eaa.org/calendar/eventdetail.aspx?id=6212

Longmont (LMO) - More civilization, better runways, possible rental cars nearby, access from Denver via I-25 and then West to Longmont, fuel prices about the same (self serve), not sure about tie down cost.

bc

Last edited:
Denver

Front Range (FTG) is only 7 miles from DEN. Fuel is only $.10 a gallon more than at 18V. Heck, you?ll spend that much just driving from DIA to Platte Valley and then back through Denver. FTG has tie downs and rental cars available, it?s a great facility with a lot of RV on the field. You might even find someone with hanger space for you.

Thanks, it all helps...

Thanks for the info, it all helps with the planning. The way it seems now, we may not make a decision until we get underway!

If we need a car it seems like FTG or one of the other larger places is going to make more sense.

If anyone else has thoughts let me know, we don't plane to leave until Friaday morning so I will be checking here until late this evening...

Yes, FTG (east of Denver) good choice, good facilities, easy access to I-70 and points West.

bc

I vote KFTG

Hi All,

Thanks,

Jim,

Your getting good information from the list. I would think KFTG is the best, fastest airport for your adventure. FTG is 15 minutes from DEN and close to I-70 for a quick getaway to the mountains. Follow the link to Google maps to see the route from DEN to FTG.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...82,-104.638596&spn=0.162193,0.354309&t=h&z=12

I think FTG is in our plan!

From the info pointed out I think we are opting to land at FTG.

Thanks everyone for the info!

We should get there about noon Friday, anyone want to put an RV-6 in their hanger until Monday?

Thanks again for all the info guys!

Front Range

We went to FTG Friday. Got there about 1pm local and the place was deserted!

Fuel was 3.89! I have not bought fuel that cheap in years!

I would go back, easy to get into from the east, used flight following all the way from Iowa (with a fuel stop) so no problem getting hold of the tower.

Leaving was quite busy and the tower controller sounded like a bit of a grouch!

He was ragging on some poor heli pilot that was "a mile from his requested position". There was another poor student in a 172 that decided to go around and the controller wanted to know the "reason for go-around?"

Our trip home was good, made it non-stop in about 3.75 hours.

Thanks for the info about the airport guys!

Back