What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Platenut Question-RV12 Plans Page 15-02

MartySantic

Well Known Member
This is the first time I have installed platenuts, so go easy on me. Don't want to make a mistake. The wing kit comes with 12 K1000-08 and 12 K1100-06 platenuts. I assume that the -06 platenut has the smaller screw diameter and the center hole on the -08 platenut has the larger screw diameter?? Yes/no? Looking at the wing kit plans, Page 15-02, Step 9, I am correct assuming that the nose rib is dimpled for the AN426AD3-3.5 rivet using a 3/32" dimple die AND the platenut is dimpled using the same 3/32" dimple die at the rivet hole locations AND the screw hole if NOT dimpled? The center hole is then just drilled to #19. Correct?

Platenuts

Yes, K1000-6 are for #6 machine screws and are smaller than K1000-8...

K1000 platenuts are flat and are usually used with round/pan head screws. The center hole on the overlying structure is not usually countersunk (but can be if used on thicker structure). If the rivet holes are dimpled then the rivet holes on the platenut can be dimpled to nest tightly on the structure.

K1100 series platenuts are formed with a dimple in the center hole at the factory. These are usually used when a flat head screw is desired/with a dimple countersunk skin is over the platenut.

I'm not building a 12 so will need others to wade in on your specific plan question.

Good luck with your project,
Mike

Thanks, I think that settles which accommodates the larger screw, still need an answer with regard to my dimpling / center hole question.

If the material the nutplate is connecting to is thick enough to countersink, I would countersink the leg rivets that attach the nutplate. If the material is too thin to countersink, you can dimple it and dimple the nutplate legs. Most likely you will have to grind one side of your dimple die to clear the boss part of the nutplate.

There are also special 3/32 rivets (NAS1097's) with a very thin head on them that only requires a few turns of a debur bit to countersink for them. They are the bomb for installing nutplates.

As far as the drill size, here is a handy dandy printable chart compliments of Brad Oliver that you can use for that!

http://www.rv7factory.com/files/drill_rivet_cheat_sheet.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks All! Had it correct, at least this time. I should not have to grind the dimple die as I have both the regular 3/32", a small diameter one and one already ground down that a bought years ago from Avery.

Back