What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Platenut in the cabin

pgroell

Well Known Member
Friend
Hi all,

this may sound like a dumb question, I'm wondering why some platenuts in the bagage area and on the tunnel cover are riveted through two layers of material. For example on the tunnel cover, the plan show to rivet the platenuts through the seat floor and the seat rib.
Is there a technical reason for this or is riveting through the rib enough?
Thanks

So I'm not the only one who riveted the platenuts to the ribs only to realize the plans say to go through the floor as well? I drilled them out and will re-rivet when I get to putting the floors in.

Hi all,

this may sound like a dumb question, I'm wondering why some platenuts in the bagage area and on the tunnel cover are riveted through two layers of material. For example on the tunnel cover, the plan show to rivet the platenuts through the seat floor and the seat rib.
Is there a technical reason for this or is riveting through the rib enough?
Thanks
Since the floors get riveted in place (with pull rivets) and you can reach these rivets with a squeezer, those platenut rivets act to hold the plant nut and the bottom skin in place.

Bill's on target here. Realize that if you chose to platenut your baggage compartment floors, there will be a few places where you need to rivet the platenut only to the rib/bulkhead and ignore the floor skin rivet holes for the platenuts.

So I'm not the only one who riveted the platenuts to the ribs only to realize the plans say to go through the floor as well?

I had to drill those out just last weekend. Good to here I'm not alone.

Thanks

Well I didn't rivet a thing for the time being.
I'm going the blind rivet route on the floors, but as I understand the plans, if I rivet the platenuts to the floor and the ribs and for any reason the floors have to come out , the blind rivets and the platenut rivets have to be drilled out.
If I rivet the platenuts to the ribs only, the blind rivets only have to be drilled out.
I understand that all those going with platenuts instead of blind rivets have to rivet the platenuts to the ribs only, thence my question about a reason for not doing so in all cases.
Anyway, thanks for your input.

Glue them in if you want

The reason the plans show the rivits through the skin and rib is so that 5 years from now when you strip one out it's easy to replace.

Back