What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plans worsening?

jwilbur

Well Known Member
Either the plans are getting worser and worser or I'm getting stupider and stupider.

Somebody help me out here.

RV-10 Fuse, page 28-2

Problem 1:
step #2: " ... Final drill #19, #30, and #40 all holes in the flanges of the attach angles that mate to the fwd. fuselage ribs." .... But there are no such #19 or #40 holes. There are #19 and #40 holes in the angle that are to be final drilled in step 3, so step 2 must be talking about some other holes. Am I missing something?

Problem 2:
also in Step #2, "Machine countersink the nutplate attach holes in the fwd fuse ribs ... Note that the countersinks are on the INSIDE surfaces of the fwd fuse ribs, therefore it is best to ...." ...... I can find no such nutplate attach holes. Is this an error in the plans? Or am I just going off my rocker?

I recognize I may still be off my rocker by some standards (i.e., building an airplane in one's garage may qualify) but since if you read this you're equally off, we can just focus on my more immediate life difficulty.

Last edited:
Problem 1:
step #2: " ... Final drill #19, #30, and #40 all holes in the flanges of the attach angles that mate to the fwd. fuselage ribs." .... But there are no such #19 or #40 holes. There are #19 and #40 holes in the angle that are to be final drilled in step 3, so step 2 must be talking about some other holes. Am I missing something?

If you look at F-1043C you will see there are three kinds of holes. Some are nutplates holes, these need to be final drilled #40. The holes going into those nutplates (center) need to be drilled for the screw size, so drill #19, and the other holes are used to rivet the angle to F-1048 so those are drilled 30. Remember, when something is FINAL drill, it means the hole is likely slightly undersize. Match drill means the hole doesn't exist in one piece, but a mating piece does, so drill them both the same size.

Problem 2:
also in Step #2, "Machine countersink the nutplate attach holes in the fwd fuse ribs ... Note that the countersinks are on the INSIDE surfaces of the fwd fuse ribs, therefore it is best to ...." ...... I can find no such nutplate attach holes. Is this an error in the plans? Or am I just going off my rocker?
Are you sure you are looking at the correct pieces? F-1043C/L? It is the set of pieces you made in Step 1 when you cut the angle in half. The pieces should have a set of pre-drilled holes.

If you look at F-1043C you will see there are three kinds of holes. Some are nutplates holes, these need to be final drilled #40. The holes going into those nutplates (center) need to be drilled for the screw size, so drill #19, and the other holes are used to rivet the angle to F-1048 so those are drilled 30. Remember, when something is FINAL drill, it means the hole is likely slightly undersize. Match drill means the hole doesn't exist in one piece, but a mating piece does, so drill them both the same size.

Yes. Thanks. My point is that the #19 and #40 holes are final drilled in step #3. What #19 and #40 holes are we talking about in step #2?

Are you sure you are looking at the correct pieces? F-1043C/L? It is the set of pieces you made in Step 1 when you cut the angle in half. The pieces should have a set of pre-drilled holes.

The holes in F-1043C are countersunk in the next step. In step #2 the countersinking is done on the inside of the fwd fuse rib, not the F-1043C - furthermore the plans explain that you need a 90 degree drill to do it. I see no nutplate holes in the fwd. fuse rib left to be countersunk.

Ah, that's right, I forgot these parts changed. Any chance you are reviewing online plans or are you referring to the plans with your kit? Online plans are from 04 and revision 0 and I believe there was a newer page as the nutplates were different in this section. You should be able to look at your part and the matcing skin near the fuel selector and tell what is riveted (#30), and what is a nutplates and where it is countersunk and final drilled.

Bottom line is that the parts changed and so did the drawings, but the instructions did not. Step 2 is referring to screw holes and nutplate attach (#40) holes between the angles and ribs that no longer exist; there should only be a line of #30 holes. The only nutplates are now on the other face of the angle, referred to in step 3.

Ah, that's right, I forgot these parts changed. Any chance you are reviewing online plans or are you referring to the plans with your kit? Online plans are from 04 and revision 0 and I believe there was a newer page as the nutplates were different in this section. You should be able to look at your part and the matcing skin near the fuel selector and tell what is riveted (#30), and what is a nutplates and where it is countersunk and final drilled.

Bottom line is that the parts changed and so did the drawings, but the instructions did not. Step 2 is referring to screw holes and nutplate attach (#40) holes between the angles and ribs that no longer exist; there should only be a line of #30 holes. The only nutplates are now on the other face of the angle, referred to in step 3.

You guys are the best. Thank you. I was hoping it would be something like this. I wasn't aware of the revision change. I just merrily go along with the plans assuming they're fully up to date. I can't imagine why Van's would take the time to update the drawings but not the instructions. ... Anyway, thanks guys.

Back