What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plans Question - VS

Well Known Member
OK. I'm not sure how much this matters, but I was going over the plans and looking for a good place to run my tail light and rudder trim wires through (still haven't solved that problem to my satisfaction).

I'm also doing a final review of all completed work on the empennage parts (I bought it partially completed from another builder). I found the following item early in the plans, and I am having a difficult time wrapping my mind around it. Is this a typo? An error left in from a prototype or early plans revision?

20160305_145240-e1457208073833-576x1024.jpg

Note that the holes called out here are not at all related to the VS-1007 Middle Inspar Rib. They are the rear mounting holes for the VS-1004 Bottom Inspar Rib. Additionally, there is nothing later in the plans showing these having anything to do with mounting the vertical stabilizer to the tail. In fact, either I or the previous builder installed rivets in these holes (probably obviously because they should have been riveted early on).

Am I crazy? I can't find any references to this in any "gotchas" list or on this forum anywhere.

Look ahead to where the stab is mounted to the fuse-------Working strictly from memory here, but pretty sure those are bolt hole locations used to mount the V stab.

Last edited:
Look ahead to where the stab is mounted to the fuse-------pretty sure those are bolt hole locations used to mount the V stab.

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. The two holes down below common to the rudder hinge bracket are definitely for bolts during the empennage attach (also there are another two holes that are not referenced on this page). The note I'm concerned about is the highlighted one that says "Leave Open 3 Places" above. I can't find any reference to these holes downstream in the plans, and they are called out on this page as being common to an incorrect part.

ETA: on page 6-6, step 7, the three holes in question are riveted. I can't figure out why the page I reference above calls them out, however. I think it's very confusing. I think if the paragraph were re-worded to split the discussion of the holes into two separate sentences it would remove the confusion. Probably just my reading comprehension, but I think it should be two sentences.

Last edited:
You are correct.
The three holes are actually for the VS-1004 Bottom Inspar Rib.

Doesn't really matter at this point of the assembly process. The important thing is that you leave the holes open at this point.

You are correct.
The three holes are actually for the VS-1004 Bottom Inspar Rib.

Doesn't really matter at this point of the assembly process. The important thing is that you leave the holes open at this point.

That's what I thought. Since I am basically at the empennage attach stage, I was reviewing all previous work. I didn't build most of the VS so I wanted to make sure all the plans steps had been completed before assembly.

It seems though that the plans ought to be edited for the benefit of future builders, although it is a minor item.

Back