What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plans in PDF format?

danielhv

Well Known Member
Just curious if anyone has the -7/-7A plans in PDF format... I'm always thinking about building etc when I'm at work, and it'd be nice to be able to look at the plans without having to carry them back and forth...

I have all of my full size plans for the -9A and -8 scanned to PDF as well as all of the manuals. You're right, it is a great reference. It is a good use of work resources labeled "just making sure all the big expensive equipment is working correctly." I don't think many would be very comfortable sharing though since Van doesn't want us passing this stuff around electronically.

I have all of my full size plans for the -9A and -8 scanned to PDF as well as all of the manuals. You're right, it is a great reference. It is a good use of work resources labeled "just making sure all the big expensive equipment is working correctly." I don't think many would be very comfortable sharing though since Van doesn't want us passing this stuff around electronically.

Understandable... so I take it you just scanned the preview plans and not the actual full size plans? If so, how do you scan the oversized sheets the preview plans are printed on? Or did you have it done somewhere?

I scan the final full size sheets so I can reproduce them years later if needed, in addition to electronic reference. Then I print them out to 11x17 for a shop set. I don't use the full size in the shop. I have large format production equipment in my office (scanning and printing). You can scan these sheets at most copy shops. Having all the construction documents in electronic format is kind of a must for me. Sorry, I can't share until Van says he doesn't care, which I suspect isn't going to happen.

I had the preview plans scanned at a local Office Max for about $25. I am scanning the constuction manual as needed at home (8.5 x 11). It seems a shame to have everyone spend money to have their own docs scanned, but Scott is right, and I agree.

Clear skies,

$2.99 at Office Depot

I just had 61 pages of the 11x17 preview plans scanned and burned to a CD at Office Depot for $2.99! Took less than 10 minutes. Comes as one large TIF file. Excellent resolution. Will be easier than carrying the big binder back and forth.

SEARCHABLE Data Files

I scanned the manuals and B size preview drawings, but what has been the most useful is the fact that I made searchable (OCR - Optical Character Recognition) PDF (Adobe Reader) files.

Need to know where K1000-06 nutplates are used? Search the drawings and immediately you know that they are called out only on sheet 12 (RV-7). ;)

How many times have you spent 10 minutes trying to figure out which drawing has the callout for a fastener you're trying to install? Just look at the P/N sticker on the part you're installing, and search on that. Or if you want to find brake lines, rather than thumbing through 50 drawings, just search on "brake line" or "brake". :D

I also have the contents of all of Van's parts bags in a spreadsheet (also searchable), as well as "The List" from Van's website, so I know the cost of a part within about 9 seconds :eek: , as well as which bag to look in. All of my parts bags are located together, so I can access a part within about 15 seconds. THIS IS A HUGE TIMESAVER.

My engine's overhaul manual, parts manual, service bulletins, service letters, and service instructions are also scanned and searchable.

Using Google Desktop makes this even faster - you don't even need to open the file to search it! On my shop PC, if I hit <CTRL> <CTRL> followed by the P/N of my fuel pump, I can immediately see all the AD's, service bulletins, service letters, and that part of the overhaul manual dealing with the fuel pump.

I keep all of this on a thumb drive around my neck, so its always with me - and with a PC in the shop right next to the project, I waste very little time finding things. Don't know how people built airplanes before the advent of searchable digital data! :eek::rolleyes::D

How to make OCR PDF

I scanned the manuals and B size preview drawings, but what has been the most useful is the fact that I made searchable (OCR - Optical Character Recognition) PDF (Adobe Reader) files.

Noah,

How did you make the OCR PDF files, did you can them on a home scanner? My home scanner has this capability but when I try it too many of the words come out wrong. I would love to have this capability. Old plans had an index with a part number with a reference to a DWG but the newer plans have new DWG numbers and this old index is useless. Thanks for any help.

Cheer

Mike, you need Adobe distiller or Adobe Professional or any number of other OCR programs. Most scanners come with some version or another but the quality does vary somewhat. Try scanning at a higher resolution - like 300 dpi or better - you can always shrink the resolution (and filesize) after you've done the OCR bit.

Good Luck!

large LCD

I've often thought that a dream shop would have a large LCD TV (maybe 42 inch) on some kind of moveable stand, and I would display PDF plans on the screen. if the plans were text-searchable that would be even cooler!

My Setup

Searchable PDF's do come in handy. I use it quite often in the hangar.
I have a computer mounted on a mobile medical cart with a 24" LCD. I'll try to post pictures later.

I have the software

I have the OCR software to save the pdf as searchable, if someone has the plans scanned and can send to me, I can make available in searchable format.

Of course, if Vans would just make PDFs from the original source, they would be more accurate, look better, and have a much, much smaller file size...

Sigh...

--Bill

Are there any legal issues with scanning the drawings? I have the capability to scan them to PDF here at work, but I don't want to get in trouble for distributing copies of the plans!

Last edited:
Is there any legal issues with scanning the drawings? I have the capability to scan them to PDF here at work, but I don't want to get in trouble for distributing copies of the plans!

I'd be willing to bet there is... I don't think Vans would be happy with someone distributing their plans... especially when we have to pay for them. You can scan them for yourself with no problem... but I wouldn't give them to anybody.

Are there any legal issues with scanning the drawings? I have the capability to scan them to PDF here at work, but I don't want to get in trouble for distributing copies of the plans!

Scanning them for your own use: No problem.
Giving that scanned copy to someone else who owns and has the physical plans: Probably fine.
Putting that scan in a generic spot (i.e. this forum): That's a copyright violation.

I'm not sure what Van is worried about. Would anyone actually take the kit plans and build a plane from it without buying the metal from Van's? Is he worried about Rans getting a copy? I would assume a competitor would buy a kit and have the plans anyway...

--Bill

I'd be willing to bet there is... I don't think Vans would be happy with someone distributing their plans... especially when we have to pay for them. You can scan them for yourself with no problem... but I wouldn't give them to anybody.

Hey Dan -

You are right. I own an engineering company with my two brothers. Intellectual property is expensive to create and maintain. I don't begrudge VAN his revenue stream, but I do agree that a set of protected PDF's would help a builder out tremendously, myself included. I scanned all my drawings the other day at FedEx Kinkos and it wasn't cheap (approx $0.50/ ft2 for a total of approx $125). I have also scanned the build instructions in my office and will run it through an OCR program so it is searchable.. but it sure as heck would be better if VAN's did it for us. That said - I don't want to violate the copyright laws. One of my brother partners is a "lawyer" - sorry guys but what the heck.

It's all about efficiency - maybe VAN's will start offerring this as a "product" to real live builders.

Back