What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Planning wire runs for G900X Panel

flion

Well Known Member
So the 'Show your panel' thread got me to thinking... What will I have to run aft of the panel? I'm expecting a G900X (or it's equivalent in 4-5 years if I take that long), with the works, including A/P. Possibly Vertical Power, but that should be mostly forward the panel. So, what I foresee is:

Wings - Nav and strobe, pitot heat, landing/taxi lights, NAV antennae, Marker antenna (I'm happy with my Archer antennae so far), trim servo, and roll servo, plus plumbing for AOA or wiring for stall switch.

Fuselage/Tail - COMM antennae, transponder antenna, ELT antenna and remote, pitch servo, magnetometer (does Garmin use a remote magnetometer like BMA?), 4 place intercomm, rear seat entertainment systems\power, heater\ac wiring (I'm pondering the weight\benefit ratio still), overhead eyeball lights, strobe power supply, tail nav light, trim servo, door and baggage door latch indicator wiring, flap motor, and GPS antennae.

Did I miss anything? What other remote sensors for the Garmin might need to go back there (their site is not really informative in this regard)? Based on my experience with the -6A, I'd like to be a little better prepared for wiring runs as I build the structure rather than trying to make them work after the fact.

While I'm at it, any structural considerations forward of the firewall for Garmin's equipment? Where have people been installing those boxes?

Pat, you seem to have it down pretty well.

I have no idea what sensors the Garmin uses, but with my GRT setup, the AHRS sensor packs, and magnetometers are mounted on a tray in the tailcone, above the battery area. The temp probes are also back there, but the wiring is in the same bundle as the rest of it. I also ran a 5 wire bundle for rudder trim, but it is really small in size, so no big deal.

As far as running things like aux power outlets, seat heater, ANR headset power, ETC, from the battery area forward to the panel, and then back to the passenger comp for use, well what I did is run it from the battery solenoid direct to the area of usage, through a fuse block. Used an extra conduit I had installed under the baggage floor, then into the tunnel.

There are some things that will be in the tunnel, flap for sure, fuel flow probably, and possibly the stuff that gets hooked up to the control stick.

As you are building, putting in plenty of wire conduit is a smart, cheap and lightweight way of giving yourself a present in the future. Under the baggage floors/rear seat floors, and lower part of the side wall.

Wing---APARS ??? I am using Duckworks leading edge landing lights, and the stock tip lights are getting setup as wig/wag. More wires needed for these.

Everyday it seems somebody comes up with some new gadget that we just gotta have------plan ahead, run in some extra conduit in places like the wings, and fuse.

Good luck.

Last edited:
[LEFT said:
flion[/LEFT];320766] What other remote sensors for the
Garmin
might need to go back there (their site is not really informative in this regard)?

I too am having similar
experience
with
Garmin
. Any one know where to start.

Hi guys,

There are a few things you can do ahead of time to help yourself out. We've now put together G900X panels for RV7's, RV9's and RV-10's. All have about the same basic configurations. The main LRU's (Radios, Txpdr, Air Data Computer, EIS box, Audio Panle, GPSes, etc..) are all in the main panel ahead of the screens. The only remote boxes that you need to worry about are the AHRS, Remote Magnetometer and possibly the XM box (althought that fits nicely in the main panel as well). Depending on if you go with O2 systems or TCAS or other added products those can also be remote boxes.

As you know you'll need at least the following coax runs for:

2 x Comm Radios
2 x Nav Radios
2 x GPSes
1 x XM satellite (usually shares one of the GPS antennas)
1 x Transponder
1 x Mke Beacon.

There are a whole host of other inputs you can feed into the G900X (like door warnings, pitot heat, landing lights, gear, etc..).

There will be 2 wire bundles going forward from the G900X to the engine. 1 bundle is the EGT/CHT harness, the 2nd bundle is the probe/sensor bundle. This is like any other EFIS/EIS installation.

That being said, if you are early in the project you can purchase some of the components ahead of time (we stock probe/sensors kits for the G900X) and you can also purchase the racks/trays & connectors as an install kit.

It also might be a good idea for you to get a copy of the G900X install manual and read through it. Garmin has suggested diagrams for the physical installations as well as electrical schematics for general aircraft systems wiring.

FYI...Van's stocks and sells the AHRS bracket that works for the G900X AHRS. That should be installed whilst building the fuse.

Anyway, give me a holler for more details. I think we've done more of these in RV's than anyone else out there and have a pretty good handle on what needs to be done.

Have a good week,
Stein

Awesome post, Stein. That was pretty much what I was looking for. I'd love to get my hands on an installation manual but Garmin's site says it's only for installers so it's not available there. I'd forgotten about the XM and TCAS. Aside from the remote for TCAS, is there also an antenna run I have to plan for?

I'd love to get my hands on an installation manual but Garmin's site says it's only for installers so it's not available there

Aren't we "installers" if we plan on putting the G900X in an experimental aircraft ourselves?

-- Chris

I get the impression Garmin doesn't trust us, even with the 900X. Probably a liability thing ...

I wouldn't say Garmin doesn't trust builders or that's it's for Liability reasons only. I would say it's for a variety of reasons that are varied and somewhat complex. Indeed Garmin does provide the install manuals for G900X customers who are installing the system. Call me and we'll discuss and I can better explain. That being said, it is an extremely complicated system compared to everything else out there. The changes in the system as it relates to added functionality and growth have been phenomenal since day one, and the install manual had changed to follow it. Some changes have been major, and therefore necessitated major changes in the manual. More than any other piece of equipment on the plane, it's imperative that you're working with the most current version of the manual for a whole host of reasons. If you're years away from installing it, downloading the manual today might not necessarily be what you'd need when you get to that point. Since the components in the system are still certified, Garmin has to keep tight control on it's revisions as well as how the equipment is installed to ensure proper operation of it. It's worth downloading and reading the pilots guide, because there is a TON of information in it that will help you see how the system is setup, as well as lots of details on the system itself. While not an install manual per-say, there is a lot of good data there if you're planning on going the G900X route.

Also note that the install manual is also not some small pdf like many other EFIS systems. If you've seen the pilots guide and associated paperwork you've seen that it's around 600 pages long...the install manual is somewhere around 600 pages long with full size drawings, tons of photos and takes up a huge three ring binder when printed out. It's probably the most detailed and accurate install manual of any system available to homebuilders for installing an EFIS system. Heck, they even take a page or two that shows you how to do wire lacing...pictures of how to install engine probes/sensors, etc... It's quite remarkable. That's almost 1300 pages of information on the installation and operation of the system. I only added the above paragraph just to show how much there is behind this system in comparison to the competition and also what Garmin is putting behind it for us homebuilders.

In the end, they are there to help and I think you'll find that once you're a G900X customer you'll see that there is a tremendous effort being made by Garmin to make the installation the best of anything out there by a long, long way. The support after install is also phenomenal - unbeknown to most people is that Garmin has a specific staff inside the company just to support G900X installs. Those guys are great to work with, and provide personal hands on assistance to customers.

Anyway, I'll do what I can to help those of you out who are thinking you're going this way. There are things that can be done early on to assist you in the systems install of the plane, and help you in decision making when it comes to some of those early decisions.

Best Regards,
Stein

Last edited:
Fair enough. I was only half-serious when I posted that. Actually, your first post in this thread was exactly what I was looking for; enough to get me through the structural fabrication. And, yes, I understand Garmin's position with the 900X is complex but I still think they could be more forthcoming with info direct to potential customers rather than make us go through dealers. That said, if I wasn't seriously considering their system, I wouldn't be asking these questions. I'm almost certain my -10 will be 900X equipped and if it isn't it's probably because I built so slowly that I'm going with Garmin's successor but I won't plunk down money (and officially become a customer) until much later in the process.

Great post, Stein -- thanks for your take, which makes a lot of sense to me. It's encouraging to me that Garmin is taking the experimental market so seriously -- and it's one of the reasons that I'm very likely to be putting Garmin in my -10 when I get to the panel stage.

-- Chris

I just finished my install of the 900X. For what it is worth, I enjoyed the install. As Stein says the install manuel is very detailed and easy to follow. It is a complex system, there are in the neighborhood of 5-600 connections that need to be made, but it is all very organized and easy to follow. After install there is a fair amount of time needed to install the software and set up the system, because it is so complex. Additionally the dealer will need to do a final system checkout and certification test. Then you are good to go and learn all the features this system has to offer.

This is probably the most complete system that a homebuilder can put in his creation, the guys flying heavy iron can only sit and drool at the capabilities we have.

Gary Specketer
RV10 flying

Gary I am looking into this system as well, the only con I have found is that it does not support a flight director with the Sorcerer A/P. If this is true is there a system available that will display a F/D on the G900X?

Back