What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

planetools.com

FlyQXCRJ

I'm getting close to begin to accumulate tools. Anyone order the RV tool kit from planetools.com?

I really like how it's laid out (options) on the website.

Thanks,

i have it saved in my favorites list, but have yet to use them. looks like a nice kit though!

i've bought some stuff from them. as i recall, service and prices were good. i didn't buy a 'kit' to start with -- i bought a bunch of tools from a previous builder, trying to save some money. wound up spending a lot more than i planned -- not that the previous builder didn't give me a good deal, but there was still 'extra' stuff i needed/wanted. i'm sort of out of 'tool chintz' mode now -- if i need a tool i buy it. if a cheap one will work as good as the expensive one (or nearly so), then i buy the cheap one. but if the cheap one is junk, i go ahead and spring for the expensive one. 'tool creep' is almost as insidious as 'panel creep' on this project :eek:

john

Drdt2

FlyQXCRJ said:
I'm getting close to begin to accumulate tools. Anyone order the RV tool kit from planetools.com?

I really like how it's laid out (options) on the website.

Thanks,

It looks like a pretty decent offer. Not only is the price good at $1795 but they are throwing in the DRDT2 C Frame as a free upgrade. Not bad at all.

I am not familiar with the quality of their tools but to be honest with you, I am not able to see the value difference between a Chinese made rivet set and and an American made rivet set. But then I also have trouble justifying the higher price of a Sioux drill over an import drill. Others swear by purchasing "The Best" tools and I would agree with this when high priced power tools are concerned but for most hand tools, I say what the heck.

I think the DRDT2 dimpler makes this offer very attractive.

I bought a complete kit when I started. If to do over again, I wouldn't get the whole kit. The fly cutter hasn't been used & the snips haven't been used but once. A band saw works much better. I did get a combo belt/disk sander from the aviation dept of Home Depot. My thoery is - you can't have too many tools. You also get what you pay for.

Derrell
7A Finish

I just got back from Harbor Freight and saw the mininature grinding kit I bought for $60 at ARL for $29.99. (and the thing is broke already)

try to avoid situations like that.

FWIW

Back