What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane-Power question - and kudos to French Valley Flight Center

flion

Well Known Member
Over the Holidays, I flew to French Valley, CA (F70) to see my niece while my brother was visiting. Before I left, I was going to give Young Eagle flights to my grand-nephews but the alternator failed. I didn't have time to trouble-shoot because I had to leave immediately by car if I was going to make a flight to St. Louis (more ammo for aviation - 7.5 hours by car vs. 2 by RV-6A). I came back loaded for bear (spare alternator and all necessary tools) only to de-cowl, pull the connector, clean it (not really dirty and electrical lube used), and start the engine after charging the battery. Instantly, the alternator was working. This is not the first time. The connector looks good and is not intermittent - I mean, it either fails completely or works. When it fails, unplugging and plugging it back in corrects it. The alternator itself tests fine and I started using the electrical lube thinking the connector might be contaminated, but I'm not really seeing any indication of this. Anyone else have a similar problem or ideas?

Also, the FBO at F70 was excellent. They allowed me to pull the aircraft onto their ramp so I could use their outlet to charge the battery (no outlets in transient parking) right in front of their hangar door. They were very helpful all the time and courteous to my family when they were there for the flights. They didn't make a lot on me; I only bought about 10 gallons of fuel. Nevertheless, they were a class act and I really appreciate it, especially with the stress of having a sick aircraft away from home.

Is this alternator connector the type that has 3 fast-on terminals? If so, one or more of the fast-on female terminals could have a weak grip. Use a singe male fast-on to test each of the female fast-ons. If the fast-on pair slides together easily, then the female fast-on has lost its grip and should be squeezed with pliers or replaced. Your use of grease is a good idea to prevent corrosion. Do not rule out other possibilities like a bad wire connection.
Joe Gores

Back