What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Power Alternator problems RV-7

kaurione

I'm New Here
60 amp Alternator and Kit w/OV protection
Part Number = ES ALTERNATOR DELUXE

I have just replaced my alternator with the above Plane Power Alternator supplied by Vans (ES Alternator deluxe).

It has been connected correctly with the white wire going to the indicator bulb and from the bulb to the dc positive bus. The red wire goes to the 5 Amp circuit breaker then to the dc positive bus. The alternator switch was selected on for engine start and remained on until engine shutdown.

Before start the indicator light is on steady.

After start up it behaved perfectly, the light goes out and charges as it should. The loads were put on, Radio, landing lights etc. After about 3 or 4 minutes the alternator warning light flashes on an intermittent basis, maybe at a frequency of about 1 second. Voltage indicates 14.4V but flicks in sympathy to the flashing light.

Any idea?s chaps

I just installed the same alternator on my RV7 and it works perfectly. I agree with above suggestion. You have a loose connection from the field supply buss voltage to the red wire on the alternator or a bad regulator/OV protection unit inside the alternator. Check all connections including the condition of alternator field switch and field breaker.

Problem solved

Thank you for all your suggestions.

For those of you who may have similar problems I can now confirm that the original problem was caused by the 14 volt alternator warning light which was rated at only 50mA of current. A very helpful technician at Plane Power said it was important to use a 100mA bulb. The higher current bulb has been substituted and the alternator now works perfectly.

Back