What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Power Alternator Experience ... (long)

jclark

Well Known Member
Benefactor
Over the last month or so, I had been VERY busy get "Papa Juliette" ready for Airventure. This involved removing, getting overhauled and replacing the engine along with a new constant speed prop (to be discussed in another thread).

Needless to say, getting everything done to my satisfaction used up all the time I had and two days before departing for KSQI for the Oshkosh Formation Brief and Practice, I discovered that the *externally mounted* overvoltage protection on my Plane Power alternator was hanging by a wire!!!!! :eek:

I called Plane Power and explained the matter and they said "no problem", send it in and we will upgrade it to the "new style" (internal mounting). Should only take a few days. I then explained that I only have **1 day** before I am to be off to KOSH.

Sooo ...... They put together a loaner program *on the spot*, just in case someone was stuck like me. I had them overnight the loaner, bolted it on the day before departure and was all set to go. So I thought ....:confused:

It appeared to me that this BRAND NEW unit was not working as expected by me, though it worked. I took off for 4I7 (Dixie Chopper ... cheap gas + food) and before I was 15 miles from the airport, the alternator DIED!!!:eek:

Given the tight schedule we were on, I simply shut things down and tucked in on the wing of a fellow formation flyer (Ken) and flew on with just battery (VFR!!).

When I landed and called Plane Power, they were shocked that the unit they had just tested failed in the field but later (after arriving at KSQI) I was able to convince them that the six (6) other builders who helped me swap the OLD one back on (something TOLD me to bring it along) and saw it worked, probably were not seeing things. :)

HERE IS WHERE THEIR REAL SUPPORT KICKED IN ...

The support person I spoke with, Billy (I think that was his name), committed to stay around and figure out a way to get ANOTHER alternator to me so I could safely get to OSH. This was late Friday evening!!!!! He would have to personally drive to UPS to catch a late shipment. Now where we were, there was not good cell phone coverage, so he ending up calling trying to reach me five (5!!!) times in less than an hour. He wanted to make sure as to where I would be. Due to poor/no coverage (on my end), he did not reach me so he could not overnight it to me.

But since the old one was back on (with some temporary repair) and working, I was OK.

ONCE AT OSH ...

Got to speak to the "head guy". He had heard about my problem (and had approved the loaner setup). Told me to bring the "new loaner" by the booth and even though they were NOT set up with spares, the would take the demo they had there and do magic on the "new loaner" I had so I could take it back with me in case my "old" one died.

I could not have asked any more of them.

Stuff breaks sometimes. That does not bother me. What makes the difference with a company in my view is how they handle it.

Once they got over the shock of the infant mortality of this (FIRST) new loaner, they really kicked into high gear.

And I publicly applaud and thank them.

James

p.s. Yes, I ***STILL*** feel they make great alternators!

Les Staples is probably who you talked to. He also owns Skytech starters.

He'll bend over backwards to earn your business and will do what it takes to make it right.

Back