What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Power Alternator condition check?

ChiefPilot

Well Known Member
So far, so good - no issues with it but given the anxiety around the PP alternators I'm a little curious about things to look at.

I'm doing my condition inspection and one of the last items on the list is checking the alternator. I usually check the bearings (loose the belt and rotate the pulley by hand) then re-tension the belt, but wondering what people's experiences with brushes has been. Their service instruction suggests checking the brushes for wear at 1000 hours; I'm only at 663 hours tach so not there yet.

I do have a blast tube on it; in fact I have a new blast tube this year that acts as something of an inertial separator to keep any rain etc. out while still providing cool air to the voltage regulator. I will do the goop-on-the-plug thing that DanH identified.

Still, in the interest of avoiding possible shenanigans, I'm thinking I should pull the alternator and open it up to have a look at the brushes, stator wires, etc.
Beyond that, anyone found anything else in particular to look at?

There is a balance between preventive maintenance and maintenance induced failures. The 1000 hour check sounds good, but I'd not do more than what you are doing now.

Carl

So far, so good - no issues with it but given the anxiety around the PP alternators I'm a little curious about things to look at.

I'm doing my condition inspection and one of the last items on the list is checking the alternator. I usually check the bearings (loose the belt and rotate the pulley by hand) then re-tension the belt, but wondering what people's experiences with brushes has been. Their service instruction suggests checking the brushes for wear at 1000 hours; I'm only at 663 hours tach so not there yet.

I do have a blast tube on it; in fact I have a new blast tube this year that acts as something of an inertial separator to keep any rain etc. out while still providing cool air to the voltage regulator. I will do the goop-on-the-plug thing that DanH identified.

Still, in the interest of avoiding possible shenanigans, I'm thinking I should pull the alternator and open it up to have a look at the brushes, stator wires, etc.
Beyond that, anyone found anything else in particular to look at?

Piece of mind is important and time is our own. I just checked the brushes at 1000 hrs and found them in good shape but did feel better seeing them well within specs. Actually compared them to a new set of brushes as well and BTW the rest of the alternator looked good. Hope that helps. Larry

Back