What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Power - "Alt Out" light connections

DakotaHawk

Well Known Member
I'm wiring my Plane Power alternator - pretty simple to do with the B&C regulator, but there's one line in the PP installation instructions that has me wondering.

"7. If aircraft is equipped with an "alternator out light" circuit, connect that wire to the AUX terminal..."

So my question is - Does the AUX terminal put out 13.8V when the alternator is out, or does it go to ground?

Either way is easy to complete - just need to know if the other end of the lamp gets a ground or 13.8V.

Thanks in advance

Alt out light

Go to PP web sight and look up Tech help. The wire goes from the alt thru a light and thru a breaker (1amp) the to the aircraft buss. This is where it gets 12 V.

I had a non-operating warning light....

....and got this note from the Factory --

The warning light should have one side connected to a fused voltage source (the bus) and the other side connected to the LAMP lead of the R1224 regulator. If your installation does not have the AUX terminal of the regulator connected to an AUX terminal on the alternator, then put a jumper between the regulator's AUX and ENABLE terminals.

The jumper bit is not very clearly spelled out in the installation instructions....:)

It works like a charm, and I dumped the 30 year old mechanical regulator on my Tiger - getting OV protection and a warning light.

This is what is inside a mechanical regulator --

Old-VR.jpg

Last edited:
LED for Plane Power Alterntor Fail Indicator?

Has anyone used an LED light in this application? The factory support person told me that an LED might be on (dimly) all the time due to input leakgage current, even when the alternator was working fine. Just wondering if anyone has direct experience?

I installed a 12v...

Has anyone used an LED light in this application? The factory support person told me that an LED might be on (dimly) all the time due to input leakgage current, even when the alternator was working fine. Just wondering if anyone has direct experience?

...LED indicator - works fine.

I presume it's just a standard LED with an integral series resistor - it is marked for direct 12 volt operation.

Last edited:
I like short answers...

OK, so the AUX terminal gets pulled to ground on an alternator off/failure.

Thanks for all the help.:D

Yes, pulls low with fault

Per the PP diagram, the indicator goes low with fault. Rick 90432 wiring, wiring, wiring.

Back