What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane is at Grady's

TroyBranch

Well Known Member
Friend
I have been watching the weather for the last week trying to decide when it looked like the best time to fly south. We had planned on leaving sometime this week.

Sunday I awoke to a descent forecast and decided to make a run for it I called a good buddy garret to see if he could swing the trip and soon filed the Eapis. Decision made at 8:00 am and we were wheels up at 10:40 heading for great falls for customs. I had talked to Scott mills in Denver to see if there was a place to overnight just in case. Unfortunately there was not much available and we did not know if we would stop the anyway.

We cleared customs and got fuel in less than 1/2 an hour. We filled all four tanks and we planned to go as far as our bladders would take us. We were wheels up at 12:30 out of great falls heading for warmer temps.

At altitude we got a quartering tailing wind and had grounds speeds over 200 kts for much of the way making 20 m/gal. What a way to travel. T shirts on and -17c at alt. The cabin was cookin. At some points we had over 45kts at altitude and still a smooth ride over the rugged terrain.

Montana was soon behind us, then Wyoming, then into Colorado. First front line was just north of Denver that we snuck our way through. After that, clear sky's again with a smooth ride. Over 45 gal in the tanks at Denver so we pressed on. Made on tuna sandwich served by the pilot himself just south of Denver. Life is good.

Planned stop was liberal Kansas. Winds were showing 32 gusting 41 and the second front was going through that area. At least it was going to be mostly down the runway. Shot the gps for 22 and soon got a ride of our life. The headwind turned into a 20 kt tail wind at 500 agl a dust line was off our right wing. We were being flown and I was doing my best to do the flying. Brought the 540 back to life and bailed out of there. Man that sure was no fun.

We diverted to perrington tx to get down as they had a grass cross wind strip if I could not handle the cross wind. The sock looked doable so I went for the pave. Full rudder would not do it on the approach but it let up enough during the touch down. Flaps up, danced the peddles, what a flight. 4.8 from Greatfalls. I was done for the day.

Next morning we awoke to below freezing temps and plugged the plane for about 1.5 hrs. 1.25 hrs later we were touching down at 52f in strong and gusting winds. Is it always this windy in texas? We taxied in and shut down.

It was so nice to meet Grady and Doug. Great people to say the least. Even if Doug made fun of my accent. I didn't have the heart to tell him what I thought about his:)

We had a great lunch texas stile. Can't wait to go back. I now type this at 30k in a tube on my way to Phoenix only to return to Dallas to get back to Calgary. It was the best deal and we plan to make the most of it. Gotta love adventures.

Last edited:
Troy,

Sounds like a great adventure. Will look for photos of the plane when it's done! Better yet, stop by Reno on your way home - not too far out of the way.

greg

Back