What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
Another thing to check,
While this applied to one of the 2 corporate jets I fly, i thought I'd take a minute or two to discuss the pitot tube.
Upon landing in Brenham, Texas (11R) on Wednesday we got in a little rush to get out of there and drive to our destination Austin, Tx, our passengers stayed in the Brenham area. Upon returning we both pilots typically remove the covers and do a preflight on the jet.

Th Pitot covers would not come off. They are made of canvas with a plastic sleeve in them. Finally after about 5 minutes the right side came off but the left would not budge. Turning the left side inside out and trying to peel it off we finally were able to tear the plastic lining in pieces and gasped at the residual plastic all over the pitot tube.
We have been fliying this Challenger for over 11 years and never had such an issue.
That being said we saw that the various holes on the top and bottom of the pitot tubes were partially covered with plastic and were able to remove the plastic from the associated holes,
Then I examimed the right side and saw this little bitty hole that I did not see on the left side. Back to the left side. The drain hole was complete closed.
Again using a broken spring from a ball point pen we were able to clear the hole.

I thougt about the Dynon heated pitot on my 7 and realized we have a similar situation. There are 3 holes that could be plugged up easily by mud dubbers or trash I do not know the internal plumming of the system nor do I know if both the AOA and Pitot lines have separate drains or not, something I will be checking in to.

When I was an active CFI in the 70's we had on several occasions were insects crawed inside the pitot tubes on our 150's and just about rotation airspeed indications came to a virtual halt. We never installed pitot covers but always checked by looking in the end of the pitot tube. You can only see so much. We started tapping on the pitot tubes and were amazed how much stuff would fall out of some of them.
Or stories about sucking on the stall warning only to inhale a bug :) we did not worry about diseases in the 70's.

Just my suggestion, cover them up..... But not when they are still warm.
Oh on departure, some one pulled up on the ramp in a white and red RV10 pretty bird.
Can not wait till I get mine flying!!

44 years flying and still learning.
Smilin' Jack
ATP,CFI-AI MEL

Back